4WD Auto not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a quick search and didn't see this topic. If it has already been addressed, please point me in the right direction. I have a 2023 Limited 1500 and was driving in wet conditions at highway speed. I tried shifting from 2WD to 4WD Auto by pressing the button, and the 4WD auto button would flash and the 2WD button stayed lit. After a period of time, a message lit up stating " Serv 4WD". When I arrived at my destination, I did a quick youtube search to do a little research, since this was the first time I had tried changing from 2WD. The video stated that sometimes, you need to let off the fuel pedal so that it can perform the switch.

The next day, I was again in wet conditions so I thought I would try again. I pressed the 4WD auto button and let off the fuel pedal. The light continued to blink, then same error message. I tried it several times...releasing fuel pedal, putting it in neutral, putting it in park at a red light...it would never engage 4WD auto and the warning light would illuminate (it would go off after a period of time, though). Oh...initially a green message light saying 4WD would pop up, then disappear only to be replaced by warning light.

Any thoughts??

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2014 1500 will switch from 2wd to 4wd in all the different scenarios you posted. I really don't think this is an "operator error" type issue.

Is your 2023 still under warranty? I would take it in.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. It is under warranty. I will reach out to the dealer.
OP, with a new ride, surprised U not parked in front of Dealership Glass Front.

If sitting still, transmission in Neutral, have U tried to Hit 4WD button and does it activate, and proper buttons light up, etc? If it does not, insure you do all same again and RECORD to show dealership SA so they see the problem, and U do not get the dreaded: "Cannot Duplicate Excuse".

Not just Auto Button, but also hit 4WD Hi. In neutral, rolling real slow, 4WD Low.

IT does sound like the 4WD actuator(s) are malfunctioning.

OP
OP
Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, with a new ride, surprised U not parked in front of Dealership Glass Front.

If sitting still, transmission in Neutral, have U tried to Hit 4WD button and does it activate, and proper buttons light up, etc? If it does not, insure you do all same again and RECORD to show dealership SA so they see the problem, and U do not get the dreaded: "Cannot Duplicate Excuse".

Not just Auto Button, but also hit 4WD Hi. In neutral, rolling real slow, 4WD Low.

IT does sound like the 4WD actuator(s) are malfunctioning.
Peaky thing called work prevented me from parking at dealership this morning. Already called and have appointment. Good advice regarding recording it. Thanks!

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Could be the tipm module. Mine was changed with the actuator. Dealer replaced both. First the actuator same issue was present then the tipm. That did the trick. Once moisture gets into the tipm. It’s just a matter of when and not if it goes.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be the tipm module. Mine was changed with the actuator. Dealer replaced both. First the actuator same issue was present then the tipm. That did the trick. Once moisture gets into the tipm. It’s just a matter of when and not if it goes.
But brand new 23 ride. Hmmmmm. No QC in my opinion ne more.