545RFE Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Hemisled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 05 1500 5.7 is giving me hell. I picked it up with issues for cheap with 73k on it. It had issues with the trans pump and when I dropped the pan there was a lot of clutch material on the magnet so I went and grabbed one from a junk yard.

I swapped the trans in along with new filters and moved over a new line pressure sensor that I had on the old one. I got it together but the truck is stuck in limp in mode with a ton of codes. Even after resetting the codes and having the battery disconnected for about 10 minutes there's no difference.

The codes it's showing are P0700, P0846, P0871, P0876, P0888, and P0988.

Everything seems to be plugged in and I can't find any immediate wiring issues. I swapped the relay with another and there's no difference. Does the PCM need to be reflashed because of the change?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P0700 is the threshold code for no communication from the PCM to the TCM. The swapped in transmission may have a faulty one.

OP
OP
05Hemisled

05Hemisled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
P0700 is the threshold code for no communication from the PCM to the TCM. The swapped in transmission may have a faulty one.
I should note that I had that code prior to swapping but I knew the trans was in rough shape by the amount of clutch material in the pan.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

??????
05 doesn't have a separate PCM and TCM, they're one module. Also there isn't a TCM in the trans...

P0700 is the code for generic trans fault, there will almost always be codes that accompany it. All your other codes except for P0888 are pressure sensor/switch codes; P0888 is Transmission Relay Sense Circuit. Check and recheck all connections; also what year did you get the trans from? There was a solenoid pack connector change around 2007 or so on the RFE's, they can be retrofitted but the solenoid pack has to be changed.

OP
OP
05Hemisled

05Hemisled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
??????
05 doesn't have a separate PCM and TCM, they're one module. Also there isn't a TCM in the trans...

P0700 is the code for generic trans fault, there will almost always be codes that accompany it. All your other codes except for P0888 are pressure sensor/switch codes; P0888 is Transmission Relay Sense Circuit. Check and recheck all connections; also what year did you get the trans from? There was a solenoid pack connector change around 2007 or so on the RFE's, they can be retrofitted but the solenoid pack has to be changed.
I'll be checking them all tonight. The transmission came out of another 2005 and came from a reputable and very well organized junk yard so I feel pretty confident that isn't an issue of being a wrong year. Can I get the year out of the tans tag to be sure?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it's another 05 then it should be a straight bolt in and all you need is a quick learn (yes you need this and no you can't do it yourself unless you have the proper software). The main connector kinda has that big handle piece that locks it down, did it lock down in place like it's supposed to?

OP
OP
05Hemisled

05Hemisled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's another 05 then it should be a straight bolt in and all you need is a quick learn (yes you need this and no you can't do it yourself unless you have the proper software). The main connector kinda has that big handle piece that locks it down, did it lock down in place like it's supposed to?
Yeah, I know I verified all connections and swung the latched connector down good and tight.

Does it default to limp in mode until the quick learn is taken care of? I just want to be sure that's all my issue is as I would hate to waste any more in labor at a dealer than necessary.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does it default to limp in mode until the quick learn is taken care of? I just want to be sure that's all my issue is as I would hate to waste any more in labor at a dealer than necessary.

No, it'll just shift funny, sometimes clunky and HARD because the computer has one set of values for the clutch thicknesses and the actual clutch thicknesses are different. It's normally drivable just goofy until it gets performed. Not something you wanna do long term.

OP
OP
05Hemisled

05Hemisled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A
No, it'll just shift funny, sometimes clunky and HARD because the computer has one set of values for the clutch thicknesses and the actual clutch thicknesses are different. It's normally drivable just goofy until it gets performed. Not something you wanna do long term.
Yeah unfortunately I don't think that's my immediate issue.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It definitely isn't, I really think something is loose (or got pinched enough to cut off communication maybe)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It would seem that way but wouldn't inalsobin theory get solenoid codes as well?
Not necessarily, depends on what's pinched/intermittent or bad connection . Makes ya miss old school hydraulic transmissions.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Dang...I keep forgetting that the NAG1 transmission was the first unit that had separate boxes for the PCM and the TCM.

Sorry about that.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Dang...I keep forgetting that the NAG1 transmission was the first unit that had separate boxes for the PCM and the TCM.

Sorry about that.

02-early 04 had separate boxes. In late 04 they changed to a single combined pcm/tcm. You were close haha

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
05Hemisled

05Hemisled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems as though the P0888 code might be cause cause of the rest. I'm going to double check the connections and check the relay as well as voltage at the relay.

OP
OP
05Hemisled

05Hemisled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I checked all the wiring and plugs and everything looks good and tight. I unhooked the battery and touched the terminals together for about 20 minutes and tried it again just for the hell of it. I'm thinking now my issues might be related to a bad PCM but obviously I would like to confirm that before looking into buying a new one. The wipers sort of do whatever they want and when I turn the key on the run after booking the battery back up the gate just kind of went a little wild. It's a pretty new battery and I'm fairly confident I don't have any charging issues. I have had some no start issues in the past which I thought were ignition switch related but they were not. Are there any good ways to test the PCM?