545rfe Relearn Procedure and Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Hello all, will a scan tool from an auto parts store be able to do a quick learn on the 545rfe transmission. After getting my 2011 Ram 1500 from marketplace I can tell the trans has brand new fluid in it. The atf on the dipstick looks brand new even after dipping a few times. With that being said, it doesn't shift quite well. It's a little harsh from 1>2 and 2>3. I think its because the TCM is trying to tell the transmission to shift based on fluid pressure or values of old stuff. Maybe in wrong and it needs new solenoid packs. 3>5 shifts are usually decent. Anyways, whats the best route to go for relearn and can parts stores lend a scantool for that?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You dont need to do a relearn after just a fluid change. Now if something like the solenoid pack or valvebody were done at the time then yes it is required but not with just a fluid change. Makes me wonder if the reason the fluid is fresh because the previous owner was trying to correct the shift issue by doing a trans service. Hopefully both of the filters were done at the same time if so. But to answer your question on weather or not a scan tool from auto store will do a relearn no it will not. It is more involved procedure than a normal scan tool can do. You can try to do a relearn but you will need to find a shop that has the correct scan tool.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
You dont need to do a relearn after just a fluid change. Now if something like the solenoid pack or valvebody were done at the time then yes it is required but not with just a fluid change. Makes me wonder if the reason the fluid is fresh because the previous owner was trying to correct the shift issue by doing a trans service. Hopefully both of the filters were done at the same time if so. But to answer your question on weather or not a scan tool from auto store will do a relearn no it will not. It is more involved procedure than a normal scan tool can do. You can try to do a relearn but you will need to find a shop that has the correct scan tool.
Oh, i had the same curiosity. I hate that I don't know much of the history of the truck.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I'm betting that it was just a fluid flush to be honest because why else would it shift so poorly from 1>3. I figured running a Quick Relearn could help the computer realize the pressures are different due to new fluid.