6.4 Pistons Nowhere

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCL79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had my cam on my 6.4 2014 Ram get eaten by a lifter so am trying to rebuild. My machine shop tore it down and it needs pretty much everything, grind crank and new mains, pistons, yada yada. I’ve been trying to do this right and mostly banging my head on a wall. The shop has sourced pretty much everything except pistons which he found but are 8-10 weeks out and I’m not sure I believe they’d be here then. After looking on my own it seems there are none to be found anywhere. So I started looking for engines and have pretty much found they are out of production due to a lack of parts. No Jaspers, Carquests, NAPA, even through the dealer. I need this truck for my business and am mildly freaking out. Would it be possible or even plausible to swap a 5.7 in or is that crazy?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Had my cam on my 6.4 2014 Ram get eaten by a lifter so am trying to rebuild. My machine shop tore it down and it needs pretty much everything, grind crank and new mains, pistons, yada yada. I’ve been trying to do this right and mostly banging my head on a wall. The shop has sourced pretty much everything except pistons which he found but are 8-10 weeks out and I’m not sure I believe they’d be here then. After looking on my own it seems there are none to be found anywhere. So I started looking for engines and have pretty much found they are out of production due to a lack of parts. No Jaspers, Carquests, NAPA, even through the dealer. I need this truck for my business and am mildly freaking out. Would it be possible or even plausible to swap a 5.7 in or is that crazy?
Check the aftermarket,quite a few of the hi-po shops will have a line on forged pistons,usually more money then the stock versions,but if you need the truck for work,cost becomes a secondary objective.
I'd start with Flying Ryan (FRP) or MMX etc.
Or do as CJ says and buy a crate engine through somebody like MMX

OP
OP
S

SCL79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure on the engine though that’s not a bad price, but I’d probably have to go through all the mds delete stuff. Might be worth a call. The pistons are of definite interest. Thanks guys!

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the understanding that the manual shift engines don't have the MDS. May be wrong.

I am actually on the hunt for a 3500 truck 6.4 to rebuild for "an on hand stand by engine". My 5.7 is fine, but just want a 6.4 built for longevity.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have the understanding that the manual shift engines don't have the MDS. May be wrong.

I am actually on the hunt for a 3500 truck 6.4 to rebuild for "an on hand stand by engine". My 5.7 is fine, but just want a 6.4 built for longevity.
Early 2500's and up with the 5.7 and all 6 speed manual transmission Challengers are factory MDS delete engines.
Any truck 6.4 is a good candiate to hop up,it can be from a 2500 ,so that opens up your search a bit more.With a valve and valve spring change,you basically have Hellcat heads with a standard intake manifold bolt pattern

OP
OP
S

SCL79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered a set of pistons from FRP. Thanks for the help and recommendations

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Early 2500's and up with the 5.7 and all 6 speed manual transmission Challengers are factory MDS delete engines.
Any truck 6.4 is a good candiate to hop up,it can be from a 2500 ,so that opens up your search a bit more.With a valve and valve spring change,you basically have Hellcat heads with a standard intake manifold bolt pattern
I guess the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 engines is the 3500 has the sodium filled valves

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I guess the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 engines is the 3500 has the sodium filled valves
Basically,and if you're rebuilding it to have a bit more power,good chance you'll be swapping out the sodium cooled valves anyways.