5.7 to 6.4 cam swap, mds delete Help !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nemosuave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys i need to urgent help, last week i began the project of swapping out my 5.7 cam for a mopar 6.4 cam i also did an mds delete with non mds mopar lifters as well and plugs, i did the upgraded springs and one other mod i did was a 6.2 oil pump for better oil pressure. I installed everything correctly no leaks all is torqued to spec and looks good. Iv seen other videos of challengers doing this swap and they fire right up probably because they do not have mds but when i fired mine up to make sure timing was correct and just to hear it for the first time it will fire then bogs off so i don't get to idle for more thank 3 sec. I guess my question is and i am hoping someone has had this problem and has fixed it. Do i need to turn off mds before it will fire up properly and idle? Now i know i need a tune for the cam but people have ran them on the stock tune for a while and it been reported to be fine. Please like i need some clarity.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need a start-up tune from your tuner. You cant just throw in a cam and delete MDS on the factory tune.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also re confirm all of your push rods where seated after you figure out the tune its extremely common to get them half clicked in or miss the holes.

OP
OP
N

Nemosuave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know all my pushrods are okay i made sure that that whole setup was done perfectly.

OP
OP
N

Nemosuave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just need to know what tune wi9ll 100% work. do i buy the diablo tune and thats it install it and im good to go.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
just need to know what tune wi9ll 100% work. do i buy the diablo tune and thats it install it and im good to go.

You're past getting away with a canned Diablo tune,to get the 6.4 cam to work properly ,you'll be looking at a custom tune.Hit up a few tuners that specialize in Chryco products,and go from there. The majority of good tuners these days are using HP to tune with,alot of tuners have abandoned Diablo.
I'd start with Ryan Hogan at Flying Ryan Performance/FRP,look them up

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, deleted the MDS lifters and MDS solenoids in the valley is only 1 aspect. The ECM will still operate the solenoids, modifty the ignition and modify the fuel to cyls as if the MDS lifters are still there.

The ECM needs to be modified before running engine and before you get a ton of problems, here.

"this guy was able to do it on the diablo. again i know i need a custom tune but for the mean time."
But for the mean time, at least get an MDS delete tune in it and don't drive it till correct tune is in. ie: the job is finished.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
this guy was able to do it on the diablo.
again i know i need a custom tune but for the mean time.
I don't think you're quite comprehending how a custom tune works.You can get a custom tune from Hemifever via a Diablo tuner,but you have to download the tune into the Diablo,then the tune into the truck.Odds are it'll take a few downloads/revisions to get it right,as the cam you're using isn't a very common upgrade.A 1 and done tune isn't all that common in regards to a cam swap/mds delete.
If you're going with Hemifever,get him to write you a start up tune that you can download into your Diablo handheld,and then write that tune to the truck,to get you going

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
ok I have swapped a few cams in my lifetime but I am curious about what is the upside of a 6.4 cam in the 5.7. I thought the 6.4 was would have a truck cam with more low end and less top. not that knowledgeable bout these things but curious

OP
OP
N

Nemosuave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright cool i ordered my self the HP mpvi3 with this i'll delete the the mds and tune the cam atleast a start up tune to get it to a tuner eventually.

OP
OP
N

Nemosuave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with a 6.4 cam for a better sounding truck and around 60 hp gain i dint want anything to crazy but a little chop never hurt nobody. I wanted to delete mds because i wanted to hear my v8 not a 4 cyl and the 6.2 oil pump has been proven to to lubricate the lifters and make a world of deference at idle.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I went with a 6.4 cam for a better sounding truck and around 60 hp gain i dint want anything to crazy but a little chop never hurt nobody. I wanted to delete mds because i wanted to hear my v8 not a 4 cyl and the 6.2 oil pump has been proven to to lubricate the lifters and make a world of deference at idle.
Nobody has proven the Hellcat pump makes any differance,as nobodies run the pump for a 100,000 miles yet.Little tidbit for you,the Hellcat pump doesn't put anymore oil on the face of the cam lobe or into the bearings in the roller itself,those are still lubed by crank splash,and the best way to get more oil onto the cam lobe and roller is to up the idle rpm to a mininium of 700 or slightly more rpm.There is "No" pressurized oil fed to the bearings inside the roller wheel,or onto the cam lobe itself.
You got a dyno sheet showing this 60 horse gain from the 6.4 non-mds Challenger cam in a stock 5.7.The 6.4 cam is a cheap upgrade,but it's not good for a 60 horse gain with-out a few more mods,like long tubes. I'd have to see a dyno sheet and time slips to back it up,and even then you could attribute at least 25 or 30 of those horsepowers to the long tubes ;)

Last edited:

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
At start up MDS doesn't matter. You should be able to start it and idle and drive it with just turning MDS off by using the gear button. Put in 8th and no MDS. Your best bet is to get a tune though for everyday driving.

OP
OP
N

Nemosuave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got a startup tune truck start but map reading around 60 kpa at idle. I don’t have a vacuum leak as far as I can tell and my timing is on point what can cause such a high load at idle ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat