A HEMI of the old days is not a HEMI currently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just found out some recent (possibly disappointing) news. It appears that many new Ram trucks (and possibly Dodge and other vehicles), if not all, despite having a HEMI badge, might not have true Hemi(spherical) engines. I have not popped out a spark plug and used a bore scope on my '21 to find out, and TBH, not sure it matters. It (5.7 "HEMI") can chirp the tires every time I mash it from stop, until that damn traction control kicks in.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still pretty much a Hemi but with a better engineered combustion chamber. As far as I know anyways.
Thats how I always understood it as well. It looks like a modern hemi for sure.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That is correct. The cylinder head combustion chamber on Gen III Hemi is not hemispherical. It is some type of pentagon shape that is easier to machine. The shape of the head chamber doesn't matter as long as the valves can be set perpendicular to the crank for crossflow cylinder breathing. Hemi is just a marketing name. In fact, Chrysler's first marketing name for these engines was "Crossfire". It didn't catch on, so they came up with "Hemi". Why that resonated is beyond me.