Adding Oil Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salty Pylot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve seen a single thread where a fella pulled oil off his oil filter relocate kit and routed to a cooler. I’m a little surprised that there doesn't appear to be a cooler already installed on my 21 5.7L. Have the 3.92 rear end and good for 11.4k on towing. Figured if anything had a cooler, I would.
Did a PPE pan without adding Caulk04s part (yet) and have noted stable temps even hauling uphill at interstate speeds with a max of 185. However, I’m seeing the higher oil temps that don’t always seem “okay”. Add to the concerns about folks getting oil into their coolant and it made me start looking for options. There should be a place to pull that oil into a cooler and route back away from the coolant. Considered using the area below radiator inlet where folks have been putting light bars as a clear avenue to get cool air to cooler. However, I’m not sure where to pull oil from. Have a Pacbrake relocate kit but don’t want to use that yet.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
OP,

A oil filter relocation kit will lower oil temps some, but you dont want to go too cool. Oil needs to get over 212 degrees to burn off any moisture that gets into the oil. Unless your oil temps are running 250, i'd say no real need for a cooler. My 2016 ram pulling a 7x14 tandum with three 900 lb harleys inside rarely gets above 222 degrees. Unloaded, with no trailer it runs about 219 degrees. not much difference in oil temp.

So, my recommendation is try the incremental approach, vs trying to kill a fly with a cannon. it will potentially save you some $$ and you will not over engineer.

my .02

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP,

A oil filter relocation kit will lower oil temps some, but you dont want to go too cool. Oil needs to get over 212 degrees to burn off any moisture that gets into the oil. Unless your oil temps are running 250, i'd say no real need for a cooler. My 2016 ram pulling a 7x14 tandum with three 900 lb harleys inside rarely gets above 222 degrees. Unloaded, with no trailer it runs about 219 degrees. not much difference in oil temp.

So, my recommendation is try the incremental approach, vs trying to kill a fly with a cannon. it will potentially save you some $$ and you will not over engineer.

my .02
My '18 Rebel is still basically bone stock (Haven't gotten the boss to approve any of the fun stuff yet...), and my oil temps almost never get above 208F (and even when it does, it's not much), even in summer in the carolina's, where the ambient can sit north of 90 for my drive home for 3+ months.
My coolant usually sits at 203-204 once the engine gets to temp (I have the dual HVAC set to ~70 all year round, except when the wife screws with her side.)

tstein88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve seen a single thread where a fella pulled oil off his oil filter relocate kit and routed to a cooler. I’m a little surprised that there doesn't appear to be a cooler already installed on my 21 5.7L. Have the 3.92 rear end and good for 11.4k on towing. Figured if anything had a cooler, I would.
Did a PPE pan without adding Caulk04s part (yet) and have noted stable temps even hauling uphill at interstate speeds with a max of 185. However, I’m seeing the higher oil temps that don’t always seem “okay”. Add to the concerns about folks getting oil into their coolant and it made me start looking for options. There should be a place to pull that oil into a cooler and route back away from the coolant. Considered using the area below radiator inlet where folks have been putting light bars as a clear avenue to get cool air to cooler. However, I’m not sure where to pull oil from. Have a Pacbrake relocate kit but don’t want to use that yet.

tstein88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have been wanting an oil cooler. I have a 2016 1500 with 3.92 gears. My oil temps have reached 265 degrees when towing a light tailor 4000 lbs at interstate speeds. I run synthetic oil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The oil temp does run around 220 degrees when not towing.