Alloy or Steel Wheels for Workhorse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cerd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to post this in the Wheels and Tires Thread, but the page said I didn't have sufficient privileges to post there.

My factory steel wheels are quite rusty. I am looking at replacing them, but am uncertain which I should replace them with. I am in the Rust Belt of the midwest, so Alloy is more appealing to me, but they seem to be weaker than steel.

At the moment, I am planning on towing a 6500lb camper with 750lbs tongue weight and an ATV in the box for appx 1500-2000lbs on the tongue.

Are 3000lb rated alloy wheels sufficient or will they degrade under that pressure?

I am looking at the Ultra 164 polished which are rated at 3050lbs.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Crashes and low-pro tires hitting a pot hole are about the only failure mechanisms I've seen for wheels. Never heard of any failure being due to alloy, especially any sort of normal use. They are weaker, but in the case where it would actually make a difference you probly have bigger issues. I would say go for it.

Those look cool too.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I would go for it. There's a reason big rigs have all but gone to alloy. Those will look good on your truck.