Bighorn Interior Ambient Lighting Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone gone down the road of upfitting there truck with the interior ambient lighting that comes with the higher trim models? I took notice I have 0 ambient lighting. I have to check the footwells tonight with the door open to see if they are lit, but I don't remember there being lights there either. I'd like to look into upfitting to as much of it as I can, hoping the wiring harnesses are mostly in-place. I only have the truck a week or so, so I haven't gotten into anything yet with it.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For $hits and giggles dim your dash lights down and see if any footwell lights come on.

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For $hits and giggles dim your dash lights down and see if any footwell lights come on.
No footwell lights, tried this that night, looking for part numbers on the interior lights on the higher trims, I found a guy on FB that did the upgrade. If I do the job i'll post some info and maybe write up a DIY.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No footwell lights, tried this that night, looking for part numbers on the interior lights on the higher trims, I found a guy on FB that did the upgrade. If I do the job i'll post some info and maybe write up a DIY.
My truck is a Bighorn and it's got the foot well lights. Maybe a certain option has that feature

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You should have the wiring for the footwell lights but as far as the "ambient" lighting you won't have most of that, especially in the door panels as they are completely different in the higher trims

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is a Bighorn and it's got the foot well lights. Maybe a certain option has that feature
Yeah I can't seem to see how I'd change the settings to activate them, I will crawl under there today and see if there is wiring
You should have the wiring for the footwell lights but as far as the "ambient" lighting you won't have most of that, especially in the door panels as they are completely different in the higher trims
I am going to crawl under today and see if the wiring is there, I didn't expect the ambient lighting wiring harnesses to be there, figured I'd be pulling wire and meeting a main harness somewhere. It may honestly not be worth the complete effort I will see what info I can get from the facebook guy I found who did it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, the ambient lighting may not be worth the cost. It's not just the wiring, it's a completely different door panels and they are expensive. I thought about finding some used ones myself but the cost shot that down right away. You would also have to enable the feature in your BCM (can be done with alfaOBD).

You might be able to get creative and drill some holes in your current panels and add some LEDs? Not sure how that would look though?

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the ambient lighting may not be worth the cost. It's not just the wiring, it's a completely different door panels and they are expensive. I thought about finding some used ones myself but the cost shot that down right away. You would also have to enable the feature in your BCM (can be done with alfaOBD).

You might be able to get creative and drill some holes in your current panels and add some LEDs? Not sure how that would look though?

come to find out its not different door panels, but it is an expensive cost.

I've learned I DO in fact have non-LED footwell lighting. This was just super dim and and I never noticed its when I opened the doors. The DIY found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyXUdrBc8M&t=1404s By own own @Waterfowler41. I do believe the BigHorns need a hole or two drilled in our door panels but its do-able.

I just can't justify the almost 800$ on the kit right now. Eventually I will...

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
Wish I saw this sooner. I was convinced that I had no ambient lighting. I just happen to lower the dash lights from 100% to whatever is just below that and the ambient lights came on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357