Buying my first Dodge!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys Im a Ford guy but I've had the truck for two years and Im ready for something new! Im looking at a 1999 dodge ram 1500 quad cab. Its got 90k on it, auto matic, 4x4, and im not sure what size v8 in it yet. I've only gotten the chance to look at it a little bit. When I went to the car lot to look at it today somebody had knocked the door lock out of it and had tried to steal it the night before. I know, I know, makes me alittle leery of buying it too but its a really nice looking truck! Anyways Im not sure what all is done to it yet and I dont know much about Dodges yet. Ill be creeping around on here for the next couple of dayss reading up on some of it. I do know that it has a dual exhaust, im not sure if its a true dual or si/do or what yet but I will deffinately find out. I havent gotten to look under the hood yet either. The inside looks pretty good and its an SLT Laramie edition? What all does that consist of? Also its got a small lift on it, Id say maybe 3-4 inches maybe? I didnt look at the tire size but I'd say 33 or 35's. Im waiting until next week when they get it all fixed from the attempted theft to go and drive it and check it out some more. Anyways my one question is what kind of mileage can I expect out of one of these trucks with 35's? 15mpg? maybe? lol. My f150 gets 11mpg on 31's and just a leveling kit but its completely gutless. I dont mind getting bad gas mileage if I have something to show for it but my ford now is a complete dog.

Is there anything I can do to these trucks to get a little better mileage? E-fans? Programmer?

I appreciate all the help guys! Im new here but I plan to hang around for awhile! Like I said Ill be creeping around tonight! Looks like a great Forum!

Oh yeah! One last thing! Ive heard alot of people tell me that Dodge's have bad transmissions? Is there truth to that? Something I can do to avoid it?
Thanks Guys!!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well if you're guessing on the tires lift and and exhaust we're probably guessing on what you have. Better to have some hard facts in hand before we can give some real world opinions.

As far as transmissions, the 46re in your truck is no better or worse than any other AT out there if it's maintained properly. If it isn't they are prone to failure over time. You'd simply have to check the fluid and how the truck drives.

Another to consider (but should've been done) is the intake manifold lower plenum gasket. They are prone to leakage, which effects mileage and performance. The only way to check is to look doen the throttle body fo r any wet pools of oil.

While there are exceptions to the rule, mileage isn't and never will be a strong point. You'd gain some mileage from programers, electric fans and such, but rarely do such mods give you anything over high teens on the highway.

Give us some more info after you've throughly checked out the truck and driven it.

Last edited: