Color match clear coat yellowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You don't want to wax for at least 30 days. You'll trap in escaping/drying vapors and you'll get cloudy clear and later will peel.

I've been painting for 20+ years and experience is only learned by doing - so don't be hard on yourself.
Noted, when I re shoot the clear this time I'll leave it alone. Paint and auto transmissions are the only 2 things I've never done, figure I can at least fix paint albeit after a few tries. Hopefully this clear I ordered makes a difference. If I can get it closer I'll be happy. Overall it was definitely a good learning experience for sure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Your grill looks better than my factory paint. Its too rough under the clear coat to get a good reflection it seems and I've buffed as much as I feel comfortable of the clear coat to try and shine it up. Nice job. Even if you're not happy with it. I use duplicolor paint shop line clear coat for touch ups, but it is a bit yellower than I'd like so I'm curious to see if you find a clear that works better out of a rattlecan.
It's crazy how smooth this came out after spending time on it. My oem paint is definitely in need of some love. We'll see how things go this week. It's been super warm for this time of year so hopefully it may gas off some more. I may wait till warmer weather to fix this, I don't wanna spray in my basement anymore. Even tarped off it smelled terrible.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Currently wet sanding the clear to try and minimize work later. Holy **** is this thick

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hard to tell in the pics but I wet sanded the clear off as much as I could for the night. Left a little bit I'll burn off the rest of the way Friday. Used 1k and just chugged along using the hard edges as a guide to how deep i was cutting through. Definitely a lot better color wise already, though it's difficult to tell by the pictures. The emblem recess is untouched, and you can definitely see there's a yellow hue to it. One good thing with all this sanding is she s smooth as glass. Even in the close up shots the reflection is still pretty clear and that's just from 3k wet sand.

When I go to shoot more color coat how low do I have to cut with the grit? Is 1k sufficient or should I do a light sand with 800? I don't wanna go too coarse, but than again i want this to all stick with all the work in putting into it. 460a28e3b0f35f2e225a2a634a569222.jpg26738b6eaebacc464abc4b1d97ad710d.jpg777c1453fcb9f1c77a676362b7caaddf.jpg

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks good so far. You can really see the difference in color now.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea, the clear was tough to get through with 1000 grit. But I don't wanna damage the whole paint job so I just took my time. Once I break the grill all the way down I'll be able to buzz through it with the electric sander. There's a lot on the flat faces of the grill. This is not something I'm looking to do over again.