Does Class 5 hitch increase tongue weight limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitts2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6L Hemi
I have a 2019 Quad with the tow package and 3.92 axle. Onwer's manual shows a maximum tongue capacity of 1,045 lbs. The wife wants a new camper that's well within the towing weight and payload limits of the truck but has a tongue weight of 1,035 lbs on the label. I know that's dry weight but don't know if it's accurate or not.

My question is, is the 1,045 limit based on the hitch or the truck structure? In real terms, if I upgrade to a Class 5 hitch, with tongue weight capacity of 1,700 lbs, does that raise the tongue weight limit? I have seen where a weight distro hitch won't increase the tongue capacity, it just lets the truck carry the weight better.

But, I'm getting mixed signals. 2 camper dealerships and a Ram service tech tell me I can even tow it with my current Class 4 and a weight distribution hitch no problem. They do it all the time. (Of course). I take them with a grain of salt.

Curt Hitch company tells me installing their Class 5 hitch increases the truck's tongue capacity to the hitch rating of 1,700 lbs. I'm not entirely convinced that's true either.

I've been on the phone and internet for two days trying to get an answer from someplace I can trust and I'm just not there yet.

Any thoughts on the real story or a place I can get the answer to this very specific question?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tongue capacity is any weight behind the rear axle so regardless of hitch the manufacturers max tongue is what it is assuming the receiver is up to the task. Class 4 are usually 10,000/1000 tongue, but most rate higher with wd hitch. Some as high as 14k/1400 lbs and if the tongue weight is distributed towards the front of the truck then it's no longer tongue weight. If you roll across a scale they'll be looking at axle weight so it pays to set up and then scale the truck the first time to ensure ypur legal and maybe shift things around if you're running as close as you are.check the tow capacity on your truck and if it's 12k or over then the hitch would be rated for it with wd so as long as it's set up properly you'd be legal assuming the accuracy of the tongue weight and trailer doesn't exceed the overall capacity. Most trailers have their water tanks etc directly over the trailer acles for better towing without added much extra tongue. There's other threads to get into that.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would imagine the Gen5 truck Class IV is like every other reciver out there, the 1000/10K is load bearing and it's rated higher when used with a WDH. IIRC the Gen4 reciver is 1200/12K when used with a WDH.
As mentioned above you'll probably run out of rear axle before you run out of hitch

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You could put a higher class hitch on the truck and you'd be OK as far as the hitch rating.

However, what does that additional tongue weight do to your payload & GCVWR numbers? Those are figures you should be looking at. Adding the higher class hitch does nothing for increasing payload capacity.

OP
OP
P

Pitts2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6L Hemi
Running some numbers now. It'll be close but I should be able to get everything within limits.

Where do you guys find any documentation that uprates the tongue capacity with a WDH? I've found "expert" advisors on various websites that say a WDH doesn't increase tongue weight capacity, but just makes the truck balance the weight better.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Running some numbers now. It'll be close but I should be able to get everything within limits.

Where do you guys find any documentation that uprates the tongue capacity with a WDH? I've found "expert" advisors on various websites that say a WDH doesn't increase tongue weight capacity, but just makes the truck balance the weight better.
Right. Technically the use of a WDH doesn't actually increase your tongue weight max. It redistributes the overall weight to the truck's axles/suspension. Here's a decent place to start if you want some real world/experience info. We have many knowledgeable members on this Forum... https://www.ramforum.com/forums/towing-hauling.119/

OP
OP
P

Pitts2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6L Hemi
Rule18, that link has been very helpful. Thanks very much!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Rule18, that link has been very helpful. Thanks very much!
No problem, any time. BTW, the Search field (top right corner of the page, just under your Name, Inbox and Alerts links) is generally a very good resource. Enjoy!

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have seen my share of cracked truck frames and would not put all my trust into a higher than factory rated hitch bolted on as a solution.

There is a reason why Ram significantly upgraded the frames on the 3500 trucks in 2013 and on the 2500 in 2014.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

This is a link to the curt website for their class 4 hitch telling you its 10000/1000 and up to 14000/1400 for the class 4 they manufacture. Other manufacturers may vary, but if your truck is rated to pull more than 10 its likely good to at least 12000/1200 with wdh set up.https://www.curtmfg.com/learn-more-class-4

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The class V is rated to tow more than the ClassIV

But, a 1500 is still only rated to tow so much.

You can put a class V on a Dakota...but it still can only tow what it can.

The class V does not increase anything...the hitch itself is stronger...but it is still mounted to the frame that isn't.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Draw tite class 4 for ram classic and ratings. As said before your rear axle weight is going to be your issue so wdh and a scale is a very good idea given how close you are. The mopar hitch only says built to match your vehicles tow capacity so not much help as far as actual tongue ratings with wdh.https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/,41948?product_type_id=2&group_id=