General Rant - Who comes up with this stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was at the dealer the other day regarding trading in my '14 Big Horn for a 15/16 Big Horn or Laramie. There are a handful of features I am focussed on:
Granite Metallic
Heated Cloth Seats
Power folding mirrors
5.7L Hemi w/ 8sp
3.92 rear
Dual Zone Temp
8.4A UConnect
Remote Start
7" cluster
Bucket Seats w/ Full length console
Sunroof
ParkSense (Front & Back)
Backup Camera
115V Outlet
Alpine Stereo (not 100% on this still, but probably like 90%)
LSD (Preferred but not required)
Protection Group (Preferred but not required)

So apparently there is this aversion dealers have with ordering a sunroof on a Big Horn. I don't know why, but they are very rare in my neck of the woods. Personally I don't see any particularly contradictory features on my list (It's not like I want a tradesmen with leather interior or something) But I can find 0 like this on the lot within 200 miles. Zero. I started with the Big Horn like mine was look gin for the SAME truck I have now, with 3.92, Dual Zone Climate, Sunroof and the protection group. When I couldn't find one, I went to the Laramie. I figured, higher level, same features as my Big Horn with some more thrown in. And it almost is. I can get most of what you see above on a Laramie (Alpine is standard even) but remote start is an option. As is the Parksense and camera. And sunroof. Which means dealers don't order those options on a Laramie. So I'm paying for a more premium model that doesn't have remote start. WTF?

I was hoping to find a 15 to get the better rebates this month, but it looks like I'll wait for the better 16 rebates next month and perhaps order mine.

My rant is 2 fold: (1) Who orders these trucks? There is NO variation in what is on the lot. It's stupid. I know it's demographics and numbers and such, and it's easy for the dealer to configure a truck he thinks will sell then order a dozen of them in different colors and call it a day. But c'mon. A little variety?

Second gripe: Why is the trim level system on a 1500 so freaking complicated!?! There was a time where you had a base truck, then an XL or Limited or something and the description was literally "This level has everything the base model had plus . . . " and the next level up would same the same "This level has everything the level before it did plus . . . " Now you have 20 different trims and they all overlap and share some features and not others. Why is it the ParkSense stuff isn't standard on a Laramie? If I want the keyless system, why do I have to add remote start for another $200 when it's standard on a Big Horn? I had to make half a dozen spreadsheets to figure out which features are standard on one model and not even offered on a more expensive model. Just simplify things guys! You'll make life SOOOOO much easier for customers as well as salesmen. Base, Express, Sport, Big Horn, Laramie. Outdoorsmen can be a package on the Big Horn and you are done. Each model has everything from the lower model plus some more standard stuff.
Sorry, just wanted to get that out.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck. Does your dealer price match? If so, get a quote from Dennis Dillon for the build and see if they will match it.

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The price isn't the issue per se. It's finding the truck. I can do better if I find one on the lot then ordering one special (and really don't want to wait 2-3 months for it to be built.)
It was mostly a rant about the trucks the dealers order and the variations in trim packages.
I'll check out Dennis Dillon though. Thanks!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Remote start was not standard on my 14 big horn. It was a stand alone option. When I was looking at ordering a 14 big horn online I don't remember seeing a sun roof as a option. I know what your saying about stealing up and and feeding more options. If I could add anything to my loaded big horn it would be cooled seats and dual climate. Which dual climate came out later on the big horn. With the comfort package, which I have. Keyless push to start system is ok,I have it on my citadel, but it's nothing that special after you have it for awhile. I didn't need that on the truck.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just like everyone else, you have 2 choices. Get one of the 'more popular' combinations found on most any Dealers lot, or special order to fit your needs.

I like Reg cabs. Always have, and it's all I need, but,,,, Try to find one on a lot that's dressed a little nicer than an Express, but not a full blown RT. They don't ~exist~, even here in Houston with 3,000+ RAMS sitting on the lots.

And then, Even if I did find one,,, When it's time to trade it in, Guess what,,, Not going to give you much more for it than an Express because,,,,,,,,,,,, it's not a 'high demand' vehicle.

I'm in my first Quad now because I can find virtually any color, any model, any 'package' on a lot within 50 miles. Crews are even 'better' for selection.

It's not a RAM issue either. Every manufacturer is that way.

Kjz3Ro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have what my dealer calls a Big Horn plus, but when I run the VIN it comes up as a tradesmen... It has power everything, 8.4 Uconnect, Parking sensors front and rear, backup cam, remote start, center console, Hemi with the 8speed, 3.21 gear but with the anti-spin diff... Everything I wanted and then some including black wheels and bumpers but it's missing on thing I wanted the most.. Dual exhaust with the bumper cutouts, damn thing is single side exit.. Why would you order a truck with all this extra stuff but not get something that even comes on the express?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
remote start was standard on 14 bighorn 2500"s- that's odd it is different for 1500"s

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you find sonething that is very close to what you want, try to negotiate to get the specific things you want added...ex..sunroof/keyless entry....and make it part of the 3yrs/36k warranty at least.

**Sent from the *********

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
listen to yourself

you want

x+y+z+1+2+3

all really uncommon add ons to a big horn,

and again not all laramie or sports (the highest lvl trims) will have all those options you want as well

you want almost every freaking option, imagine if dealers all stocked 1 of those types of trucks on their lots, i bet it would take close to a year of it sitting on the lot before a buyer like you is even interested with all those options

in other words, your trying to buy a 50k ram when dealers realize a very small 1% of drivers would be interested in those options. Im sure they can sell 10+ rams easily around 35-45k vs 1 @ 50k

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I have what my dealer calls a Big Horn plus, but when I run the VIN it comes up as a tradesmen... It has power everything, 8.4 Uconnect, Parking sensors front and rear, backup cam, remote start, center console, Hemi with the 8speed, 3.21 gear but with the anti-spin diff... Everything I wanted and then some including black wheels and bumpers but it's missing on thing I wanted the most.. Dual exhaust with the bumper cutouts, damn thing is single side exit.. Why would you order a truck with all this extra stuff but not get something that even comes on the express?

you didnt get the express 26c package (rims f/r color matched bumper and dual cutout rear), you just loaded up the express but didnt get the actual thing that you wanted lol

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

That truck looks like a 2wd version of the outdoors man.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Dealers cannot not win everybody out the gate and have to best guess with past sales data and order for the lot the trucks that move in your area. Sounds like you are just that small percentage that is just more detail oriented in what they want.

Quite frankly, if you want to have a more streamline of understanding models and options with very little overlap, Toyota Tundra's are that way and they allow very little optioning. So if you want all the bells and whistles, you have to go up a grade rather trying to stay a grade level lower with the RAM and pick/choose options.

In my area, I had the opposite problem, wanted a less optioned truck (Tradesman) but all the local dealers were high optioned trucks on the lot. Had to go a state over to a rural dealership that was almost all low option trucks because that is what they move the most.

Will-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Well your truck is all kinds of messed up, cus it's actually an outdoorsman (judging by the picture)..

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The dealer 2 miles from my house has about 90 % of his stock is express"s. Last time I looked there was 2 big horns out of 30 or more 1500. Most of the trucks are crew cabs.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have seen a few 4th gen Rams running around in my little part of the world that have a single side exhaust, and a Big Horn badge on the tailgate.

Big Horn is typically an option package on the SLT trim level.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree on how confusing the options are.

What someone needs to make is a web site where you plug in VIN #1 and VIN #2 and the computer spits out exactly what is different between the two models.

Steve

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
listen to yourself

you want

x+y+z+1+2+3

all really uncommon add ons to a big horn,

and again not all laramie or sports (the highest lvl trims) will have all those options you want as well

you want almost every freaking option, imagine if dealers all stocked 1 of those types of trucks on their lots, i bet it would take close to a year of it sitting on the lot before a buyer like you is even interested with all those options

in other words, your trying to buy a 50k ram when dealers realize a very small 1% of drivers would be interested in those options. Im sure they can sell 10+ rams easily around 35-45k vs 1 @ 50k

The only thing I want they seem not to have on a Big Horn is a Sunroof. I've found different variations of the one I'm looking for, but one will have x and not 1, one will have 1 but not x. The truck as I price it is about 43k MSRP, right in the middle of the pack as far as 4x4 Quad cabs go (from what I've seen, Big Horn is 38k base, Laramie is 43k base) There is a lot on the Laramie I DON'T want, like power passenger seat and leather trim to start. I'm not trying to build a 50k truck, I just want a specific combination of features that no one seems to put together. Personally I didn't think I was asking for a combination that is out of left field here, but apparently I'm just a PITA when it comes to my truck. It's not like I'm expecting to walk on the lot and find a truck with 40" mud tires and a ***** with leather interior. I love the truck I have now, and have the opportunity to trade up for a few more features I'd like, i.e. a sunroof, dual zone climate and a better rear end.
I completely understand no dealer is going to order a truck perfectly for every person that walks on the lot. I was just ranting that they seem to buy the same truck over and over and over or build a truck that seems to lack obvious features given the other options they chose.
I'm not exactly in a rush so if something doesn't come up and I have to order one, so be it. Was just ranting after spending the morning with a very sympathetic salesman who was struggling to understand the trim levels / options himself after working with Dodge for 10 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Remote start was not standard on my 14 big horn. It was a stand alone option. ... Keyless push to start system is ok,I have it on my citadel, but it's nothing that special after you have it for awhile. I didn't need that on the truck.

I could really care less about the keyless push to start, I was just surprised that a feature like that doesn't come with remote start as part of the system. More than a few trucks (Laramie's) had the keyless but not remote start, which I just thought was kind of odd. Remote start is like $200 by itself at that trim level. My mother bought a Chrysler 200 that had keyless and remote start and I think her whole vehicle was like 23k. Just a very odd omission for a +40k vehicle IMO.

Of course, we also found a Big Horn with loaded with 3.92, LSD, Bed Liner and a dozen other add ons (almost a 48k truck) but it also had a line item at the very end: Option for 17" Rims (removing the 20" that came with the Big Horn package) I was like WTF? You really want a 4x4 with 32" tires and 17" rims?