Here…..But Not By Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
My 2013 leaked at the 3rd brake light. Looked online, saw it was a common problem. I replaced the gasket with an upgraded thicker gasket. You can find them all over the internet. This was the first thing I did on my 2017 and current 2020 within the first week of owning them. $15 saves you a huge headache later.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The real question for motorcycle riders :

Do you get wetter driving the speed limit, or going faster ?
That's a Motorcycle Riders Secret. I'm not gonna tell.

How about a rephrase? Do you get wetter traveling at 25 mph or sitting at a traffic light? LMAO.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
let me get out my calculator

have to figure out the difference between being stationary & being in a 'Driving Rain'

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Welcome aboard....Semper Fi. Little things can be frustrating. There are what have been the fixes posted here.

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
As others have mentioned, I also had a leak at my 3rd brake light on my 2019 3500 Laramie when it was new. It only showed up during a drive through car wash. The water appeared at the back corners of the headliner. When I checked the screws that held in the 3rd light, I found they were lose. I removed the light, put a small (SMALL) bead of clear silicon on both sides of gasket and a SMALL bit of sealant on the screw threads (to help seal and reduce the chance of loosening again but can still be removed) and re-installed. Have not had a leak since.

14DieselBedford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
My third brake light leaked but did not stain the headliner. The vents behind the rear seats leak as well. One of mine was leaking and I replaced both with the upgraded ones from the dealer. They were about $11 Cdn each. Your roof antenna may be the cause as well as the other 2 problems and the window seals. The seal on my brake light showed clear signs of degradation and water infiltration. I replaced the whole assembly. I had my roof painted because of rust. (Nova Scotia road salt and livng next to the ocean.) Had the antenna changed at the same time although the body shop said there was no sign of leaking from there. I took out my back seats and lifted the carpets off the floor enough to let air from a couple of fans blow thru the truck. It was still time consuming and we were fortunate we have a 2nd vehicle. It took weeks to dry outside in the late winter early spring.
Here are some pics.
The vent pics are the same vent just opposite sides.
The vent part no. is 0053459891-001 or 6832 349 AB-001. Those are the nos. on the package. One of them is the stock no.

THe brake light seal failed after 8 years and I put this down to wear and tear.

I was unhappy but I just fixed it. I had an extended warranty but the dealer said they do not cover water damage. You're on your own with these problems. I have never heard or read of anyone getting this fixed under warranty or for free but there must be someone surely.

I read a description on a page selling a new upgraded seal and they said scrape the old seal off completely before applying the new one. I opted for a new assembly parlty because I didn't want to do that.

Here is the link to that page

Good luck.

Attachments

• vent1.JPG
    vent1.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 11
  • vent2.JPG
    vent2.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 11
  • waterrearstoragebin.JPG
    waterrearstoragebin.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 11
  • brakelightseal1.JPG
    brakelightseal1.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 12
  • brakelightseal2.JPG
    brakelightseal2.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 12
  • brakelightsealmaterial.JPG
    brakelightsealmaterial.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 11
  • dryingthecarpet.JPG
    dryingthecarpet.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My third brake light leaked but did not stain the headliner. The vents behind the rear seats leak as well. One of mine was leaking and I replaced both with the upgraded ones from the dealer. They were about $11 Cdn each. Your roof antenna may be the cause as well as the other 2 problems and the window seals. The seal on my brake light showed clear signs of degradation and water infiltration. I replaced the whole assembly. I had my roof painted because of rust. (Nova Scotia road salt and livng next to the ocean.) Had the antenna changed at the same time although the body shop said there was no sign of leaking from there. I took out my back seats and lifted the carpets off the floor enough to let air from a couple of fans blow thru the truck. It was still time consuming and we were fortunate we have a 2nd vehicle. It took weeks to dry outside in the late winter early spring.
Here are some pics.
The vent pics are the same vent just opposite sides.
The vent part no. is 0053459891-001 or 6832 349 AB-001. Those are the nos. on the package. One of them is the stock no.

THe brake light seal failed after 8 years and I put this down to wear and tear.

I was unhappy but I just fixed it. I had an extended warranty but the dealer said they do not cover water damage. You're on your own with these problems. I have never heard or read of anyone getting this fixed under warranty or for free but there must be someone surely.

I read a description on a page selling a new upgraded seal and they said scrape the old seal off completely before applying the new one. I opted for a new assembly parlty because I didn't want to do that.

Here is the link to that page

Good luck.
I have a 2016 that had the same leak. Ordered the Detroit gasket but when I put it on the original housing, it was apparent that the housing was warped. A member on this forum said to replace the bulbs with a cooler running LED and I did. I ordered a new OEM housing and replaced the bulbs with LED and boxed the Detroit gasket until a later date. I have been leak-free for a few years and the princess is never garage kept.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome, I have never had a leak, but mine stays in the garage, thou I do take it through the car was , some times a drive through and usually do it yourself pressure washer, so that would find any leaks.
This week seems like everyone is pissed off more then usual, and I have just looked at half of them.
BTW my first Dodge was a 1949, Dad drove it from the factory 1700 miles one way.

JessJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Never had to as of yet. Thanks. Edit- scratch that. Dealer had to last inspection to change a bulb. I’m going to ask them.

I’ll be taking a good look today after work. Ordered the seal for the brake light that everyone is using in place of the OEM. Thanks.
What is the part number for the upgraded third brake light seal for a 2017 ram 2500
Thanks

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As stated, there's really only a few places that water can get in through the back end of the cab.

Incidentally, the ONLY vehicle I've ever had leak in the back was my '95 GMC...rear seal rotted out, trip to the glass place and $150 later it was fixed.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally wouldnt use the upgraded factory version for the 3rd light(no experience with it just my preference)as there have been numerous posts here on the forum about the cheap door seal stuff from home depot...I went this route and has never leaked since.i'm guessing over 5 years...cannot for the life of me remember the brand(it had purple on the bag I remember)...burla just commented on this subject recently also..many people have used this method with great results...thicker foam padding squishes down nice for a good seal.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice truck. I was originally looking for a two tone red. Always loved the two tone rams but the burgundy and tan would have been my choice over red and tan.
I have nothing to add, except SEMPER FI from old Navy Doc. Thanks for your service.

OP
OP
D

Diesel-USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update: Spoke with the dealership a few times. This last time they basically laughed at me. Said the "TSB" doesn't apply to my truck based on VIN. Said 3 weeks out. I contacted Ram for assistance. Their response: Please contact your local Ram Dealer.

I replaced the 3rd brake light gasket with the weather strip seal. I let it sit out in the rain. I purposefully let it site with the nose slightly higher than the rear of the truck to get water to run back there to check.

I have no water on the floor. I was happy. I got in the truck and as I was backing water started pouring, and I mean pouring from the center light and driver side roof speaker. I took it to a body shop guy to look at the sunroof. We cleaned the drains, they seemed fine. He inspected my sunroof, the sunroof gets hun up on the rear at the roof panel; pulls down when opening and pushes up when closing. He attempted to adjust the sun roof but it was adjusted as far as it could be. Said there was no brace in the center of the $80,000 roof. He inspected around the windshield and found water stain on the driver side just in front of the sun visor and some in the driver A pillar. Asked me if I had the windshield replaced because it did not look right. I had it done last summer. He said it doesn't look like its the sunroof seal or the antenna, cab lights. In order for the water to be at the interior light and driver side roof speaker, sitting at that angle, it would have had to have leaked from the front because the rear of the headliner has a little valley before it gets to the 3rd brake light that makes it almost impossible for it to come from the 3rd brake light and fill the center of the headliner. The water would have had to defy gravity to get there.

I just had the windshield replaced. Installer said the last installer installed it a little too high. He also added extra sealant when he installed it. Said the Rams needed extra in the corners. I am about to test the water leaks and see what I can find.

I know RAM doesn't give a f*** about any of this. Doesn't make me any less pissed or tired of dealing with this for months.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That really sucks man...
You pay all that money and garbage like this still happens...I feel for ya.

OP
OP
D

Diesel-USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That really sucks man...
You pay all that money and garbage like this still happens...I feel for ya.

Its a beautiful truck. The only reason I have it is because I had a 2012 Ram 2500 that I bought new that I was quoted a new trans at 42,000 miles. Was told it was not warranty. It was a manual and you could be driving in overdrive on the interstate and it would suddenly act like it went out of gear and the RPMs would shoot up real high. I could take it to neutral, back into 6th and it would be fine for a bit. They had previously replaced the shift forks in it under warranty. Also had a random issue with is just shutting off after coming to a stop. At that point I was done with Ram trans. When I bought this one; it had the HO Cummins and the AISEN.

I was loyal to Ford for many years. After being burned by the 6.0 in a new 2003 F350 King Ranch at 60k, I bought my first RAM. It was a used 2008 1500. I just pulled with my 1997 F250 with the 7.3. Then I needed something else for moving the horses. Went with the 2012. Can't have trucks breaking down on the side of the road with horses so, I looked at this 2019 and was smitten. This does make me reconsider. I mean, a water leak isn't going to end this truck for me. But; if and when I have to get something else; I am thinking long and hard about going another route.

I understand the entire warranty thing. You can't goodwill everything. But, if you know your product is crap and its the same crap you have installed on other models and those models have issues and you add TSB's for only a portion of them; that is bogus. You do a massive sweep of any and all that have that part number on it or that part from a supplier in which the part was "updated". It was "updated" because of issues.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I'd be pissed about the windshield being installed incorrectly. Send the previous installer the bill.