how to get front hub assembly bolts off, removing axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
first off, thanks for all the responses to my earlier posts and I apologize for all the questions.

long story short I'm replacing a bad hub assembly in front driver side of my 2011 Ram 1500.

I'm following this video How To Install Repair Replace Front Wheel Bearing Hub Dodge Ram 1500 02-08 1AAuto.com - YouTube and I've got calipers, caliper bracket, spindle nut and rotors off and now I'm stuck trying to get axle off so I can access the hub assembly bolts (04:13 in above video)

see the picture below where outer cv joint of front axle limits access to hub bolts
5HubAssemblyBolts_zps38c63bb6.jpg

it looks like I just need to pry axle out from front differential but I can only get it out about 1/4 inch. Here is my inner cv joint where it looks like I just need to pry it off?
4RemoveAxle_zps2d00a580.jpg

I can access one of the bolts holding hub assembly in place without removing axle but I'm worried that I may damage outer CV joint on the axle if I keep trying to remove the bolts without removing the axle.

so I'm pretty much stuck trying to get the axle out...I can move it about 1/4 inch that is all. the video is for an 02 - 08 and I have a 2011 so not sure if there is an additional step I'm missing

so I guess my questions are:
1. Am I missing anything to get axle out, or do I just need to try harder?
2. if I can wedge my socket in there without removing the axle and remove it with my air wrench could that potentially damage my outer CV joint?

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I got the bolts removed without removing axle. I have my hub assembly replaced and everything put back together... ABS, ECS and SERV 4WD lights went off and life is good. I'm even showing better gas mileage

Here's what I did
RemoveHub_zps706156df.jpg

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks, the instruction video from 1AAuto were spot on with exception of removing axle. Saved some serious cash doing it myself...and I only smashed my fingers once.

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
why did you have to change the hubs? what kinda of issue did you get?

OP
OP
elcid98

elcid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
kept hitting a pothole on hwy 49 and my bearing assembly was shot. I had to replace bearing assembly