Axle nut torqued on ground months ago no problems noticed (so far). Should I bother to take off and re torque lifted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike_1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Ram 1500 express Crew Cab, did the front wheel hub assemblies on both sides. Because of my environment at the time ( and also because I did not realize it mattered) I opted to torque my axle nut after I had the weight of the vehicle on the wheels in order to hold them. This was in Sept of 2023, about 4 months ago and say 3k miles. I haven't been aware of any noticeable noises/vibrations from the front hub assemblies since. Now that I am aware that seemingly I should have torqued the hub assembly/axle/axle nut in the air. Do you think its worth it or that I should, loosen them, lift, and and torque off the ground? Or Is what is done is done and just hope that I haven't strained the bearings and see how long they last? Appreciate any insight

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never worked on a 1500 so I'm not totally sure but you have a castle nut on that right? If so it would only actually matter if you think you are going to be able to get to the next notch. My front left is a tad under tq because the whole was just past lining up so I had to back it off a few degrees. Having tires on the ground would have some error but due to the nature of those nuts it may not matter.

If it wasn't a castle nut then ignore all of that. I'm not normally a big safely concern person but if its not a castle then it might be worth taking it off and checking to be sure it doesn't back off.

OP
OP
M

mike_1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never worked on a 1500 so I'm not totally sure but you have a castle nut on that right? If so it would only actually matter if you think you are going to be able to get to the next notch. My front left is a tad under tq because the whole was just past lining up so I had to back it off a few degrees. Having tires on the ground would have some error but due to the nature of those nuts it may not matter.

If it wasn't a castle nut then ignore all of that. I'm not normally a big safely concern person but if its not a castle then it might be worth taking it off and checking to be sure it doesn't back off.
It wasn't a castle nut. And whether naively or not, I wasn't as concerned about it backing off ( although now with your input I am reconsidering that!) I think I was more concerned about putting uneven pressure on the wheel bearing?? That would in turn cause it to wear prematurely? (that's the story I put together about what happens after I read some other threads on the Internet about the "Air or ground axle torquing" toppic). Any insight or opinions about the bearing issue? Something your generally not concerned about? I appreciate the insight

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May as well retorque it, shouldn’t take long at all.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It wasn't a castle nut. And whether naively or not, I wasn't as concerned about it backing off ( although now with your input I am reconsidering that!) I think I was more concerned about putting uneven pressure on the wheel bearing?? That would in turn cause it to wear prematurely? (that's the story I put together about what happens after I read some other threads on the Internet about the "Air or ground axle torquing" toppic). Any insight or opinions about the bearing issue? Something your generally not concerned about? I appreciate the insight

May as well retorque it, shouldn’t take long at all.

I don't think you would have hurt the bearing from any uneven force during installation, my only concern would just be if the indirect contact with the ground would have kept you from getting it all the way tight (the tq reading you got during installation would have some resistance from the wheel/tire pushing back). As mrack said, it shouldn't take long to check it. Not being a castle nut that's what I would do.

Put my lug nuts on to the wrong spec once and 4 of the 8 were about to fall off when I checked them. Tq specs are important, especially if you are hitting below them.

OP
OP
M

mike_1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think you would have hurt the bearing from any uneven force during installation, my only concern would just be if the indirect contact with the ground would have kept you from getting it all the way tight (the tq reading you got during installation would have some resistance from the wheel/tire pushing back). As mrack said, it shouldn't take long to check it. Not being a castle nut that's what I would do.

Put my lug nuts on to the wrong spec once and 4 of the 8 were about to fall off when I checked them. Tq specs are important, especially if you are hitting below
So you guys are saying loosen the nut on the ground, jack it up and re torque?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So you guys are saying loosen the nut on the ground, jack it up and re torque?
Leave it alone,most shops are gonna torque the axle nut on the ground,as it'd take 2 guys to do it in the air.Even if it backs off,nothings going to happen,the wheel won't fall off.The hub bearings are pretty well isolated from the axle nut.
The 2x4's and 4X4's use the same front hub,so you're worrying about something that's not really a big deal.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see no reason it would matter suspended or loaded for the axle nut.

Suspension bushings, yes. Loaded.