Hurricane durability questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Would you guys prefer an engine with the same power that you currently have but with better MPG or would you rather the same MPG and another 145 Horsepower and an additional 111 Ft/Lbs of torque?
Sorry, your post reminded me of the old joke: Would you rather fight 1 horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses? :D

More power is nice, but I think most of us that are hesitant about the Hurricanes are more concerned with durability. Unlike the Hemi, which is proven to be reliable, we just don't know how long these new engines will last.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am optimistically hoping that they are as robust as the rest of the head and won't be prone to cracking as they were in the past.

But I'd like to pose a question:
Would you guys prefer an engine with the same power that you currently have but with better MPG or would you rather the same MPG and another 145 Horsepower and an additional 111 Ft/Lbs of torque?

Are those the only options? I'd rather have the 6.4.

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Sorry, your post reminded me of the old joke: Would you rather fight 1 horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses? :D

More power is nice, but I think most of us that are hesitant about the Hurricanes are more concerned with durability. Unlike the Hemi, which is proven to be reliable, we just don't know how long these new engines will last.
That is an interesting question too. I think that I'd kick all those little horses, but that duck is freak!

Not really considering the differences in the two engines platforms, which is huge (reliability, power curves, fuel type requirements, et cetera). But from a Hemi owners perspective, which would you prefer more the power or the efficiency?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is an interesting question too. I think that I'd kick those little horses, that duck is freak!

Not really considering the differences in the two engines platforms, which is huge (reliability, power curves, fuel type requirements, et cetera). But from a Hemi owners perspective, which would you prefer more the power or the efficiency?
It's a simple question but not such a simple answer. But for this discussion I'll try to keep it simple. I'd choose a V8 if given the choice. Since I am not interested in a 2500 that means my next truck will probably be a Ford or Chevy. I've heard rumors of a new V8 design from Dodge but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I know it's not the answer you're looking for but it's what I have. In other words I will not be buying a truck with a Hurricane engine if there are still V8 choices out there.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I am optimistically hoping that they are as robust as the rest of the head and won't be prone to cracking as they were in the past.

But I'd like to pose a question:

MPG for the truck. Power for the car.

I don't drive my truck like a sports car and never have enough of a load to tax the 6.4L. More mpg = more range between fill ups, which I like.

Car, I bought it for power and drive it as such. I don't drive it enough to make range much of an issue.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I know it seems strange to not have a dipstick. But as an Audi owner I've gotten used to it. Many european brands haven't included dipsticks for years. On my Audi I check the oil level using the infotainment system. There is actually a dipstick tube (used for oil extraction when the dealership changes the oil), and there are aftermarket dipsticks available for most of those cars that come without them. Seems like a bigger deal than it actually is.
I also own an Audi, and they don't come with a dipstick, but I obtain one, they
are available from many sources, I like to trust but verify. One reason why is
just last year, my MMI info system said I was getting a low oil level.
It was not low at all. It seemed to reset itself, and all was well. I was able to
check the dipstick to verify. One thing Audi does well on most models, is they
have the oil filter on top of the engine. I change my own oil, use an extractor, it makes changing oil fun.
So, the lack of dipstick is not an issue. I will bet most on here do not check their oil level between oil changes. I don't, no need, todays cars don't use oil.