Installing backup camera and cargo camera to RA2 radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLHCv2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello,

Really need a quick sanity check. Was asked to install a backup/cargo camera on a RAM 2500 and didn't realize it had a custom bed.

Pictures of the truck

It has the OEM RA2 touchscreen radio, so as far as the backup camera goes, my plan is this:
  • Use a license plate camera, drill/snake it through the bed.
  • Buy this $30 passthrough power harness to power/ground the camera to a switched power source
  • Buy this $50 passthrough camera harness, allowing me to connect the video input to the OEM touchscreen radio
    • The passthrough harnesses I got from this video if you're curious. Link is timed to start where the harnesses come in.
  • OBD Genie to reprogram the truck to turn on the camera when it's in reverse.
For the cargo camera:
  • The third brake light camera doesn't look to be an option due to the custom bed blocking the view. I'm thinking a universal mount camera drilled (or 3M adhesive'd) into the bottom of the top beam.
    • This will be tied into the same passthrough power harness as above, so it would be two cameras in the same harness. Any issues?
    • I'd imagine I need good grommets to weather proof the new drilled holes? I'm not sure if the inside of the box beam is weather protected. Thoughts?
  • Purchase this video input switcher and install it inline with the backup camera. I'd adhere the little toggle switch somewhere easy access. This will allow my friend to choose between either the backup camera or the cargo camera.
Hope that was all pretty clear. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca