Intermittent RPM Surge (~100 RPM jump every 2-3 seconds. Video included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen other posts on this, but only one that I found had a possible answer, but not one that seemed to work for most.

2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7L Hemi - 109k miles

Here are some videos of what's happening.

This usually happens when the truck first runs for the day. If I don't notice it right away, I'll leave the house, drive for a few miles and then pull over to turn the truck on/off again. This generally fixes it right away.

In the videos, you'll also notice an instance where the jump was about 200-300 RPMs, and the Battery Voltage was also jumping. When this happened, I turned it off/on, and it went away. This was the most severe instance I've had, normally, it's only ~100 RPM jump.

The video with lower RPM is when it's at idle and not moving. The higher RPM videos are shot around 40-55mph with the truck on cruise control. Road is relatively flat, days are not windy.

I've changed the spark plugs (needed it anyhow due to mileage) and also cleaned the throttle body. Still, have this issue.

The other thread mentioned changing out the transmission fluid 3x. I have not done this yet. Curious if anyone else has thoughts or has found a fix, as the oil fluid didn't seem to work for everyone, and/or the issue came back. Here is a link to that answer.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RFE or 8hp?

Looks like a converter lock up issue, but I don't really have any way to help in diagnosing it, especially online.

OP
OP
B

bdizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RFE or 8hp?

Looks like a converter lock up issue, but I don't really have any way to help in diagnosing it, especially online.

I don't understand what you mean by RFE? It's a 5.7 Hemi with an automatic transmission.

Definitely not something that could likely be diagnosed online, more looking for support on stuff to look at.

I've seen this issue across multiple forums and no one has a great answer.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Most know it they have the RFE 6-speed transmission or the 8-speed.
Try re-torquing intake manifold bolts

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
You’ll quickly find out what transmission you have via how you shift.

Rotary dial? 8 speed.

Column or floor shifter? 6 speed.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Converter issues have odd ways of showing up. If it’s a 6 speed I would personally recommend a bottle of shudder fix to see if that helps, maybe look at TCC lock/unlock/partial lock tests in the TCM to see what it’s reporting. It’ll either PASS or FAIL. You can do this with an android/apple device and OBD Jscan off of either the play store of App Store.

I don’t work on the 8 speed, and I really don’t want to either given how hard it is to do basically anything on it. This is STRICTLY for the 6 speed, OP.

OP
OP
B

bdizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for the late reply.

Based on this...
Rotary dial? 8 speed.

Column or floor shifter? 6 speed.