Level Kit...Too Many Choices...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pipercosmo33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L
I have a 99 Ram 1500 with a V8/ 5.9 L under the hood which I will be surprising my son when he comes home on leave from his most recent deployment in the USMC...He's always hinted that he wanted my truck someday..Well, it's now "Someday" and I know he would want a leveling kit installed...Gotta be honest, I got no clue what the pros, cons, and differences between 1 brand and the next...COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE RECOMMEND WHAT BRAND, SIZE IN INCHES, AND/OR ADDITIONAL/APPROPRIATE PARTS I SHOULD GET TO ACCOMPANY SAID LEVEL KIT.....and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE BE THOROUGH WITH THE ADVICE...PRETEND I'M AN 8 YEAR OLD KID...AND EXPLAIN IT ACCORDINGLY IN 8 YEAR OLD LANGUAGE EITHER IN THIS FORUM OR THROUGH MY PERSONAL EMAIL ([email protected])...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE...AND SEMPER FI...!

PIPTHEREDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I think the way to go is rough country's 3" lift. A lot of people will use a 2.5 inch front cool spring spacer to level there truck, although in most cases I don't believe it's the right way. The 3" lift will level the truck and lift it 3" at the same time. This allows to to fit bigger tires in there than you could get with a regular leveling kit, and it comes with a new coil spring witch probably needs to be replaced anyways. This lift kit is like $350 vs a spring spacer is like $100. Well worth the money to do it right and just get the 3" lift.

Maybe when your son gets back we could go wheeling on the Ocala trails. I live near Daytona so your not that far.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
First off, welcome to the forum.

I would start by reading this... https://www.ramforum.com/threads/lift-basics-for-2nd-gen-4x4-rams.25153/ . It's a bit long but pretty much answers your questions.

As a rule, I try to avoid cheaper parts, which Rough Country and it's step sister Tuff Country offer. As far as spacers, any brand of steel 2.5 spacer will work, but if your 20 plus year old springs are saggy you won't get what you paid for.

If you have more questions, post up here.