Lifted 5th Gen - Traction control light when going around curves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Readylift 6" kit and 37's on my 5th gen 1500. On occasion, the traction control light flashes when going around an off-ramp or around a circle. Going around the circle near me, it won't come on at 23 mph, but will come on going 25 mph or higher. My first thought was maybe it's sway in the rear end of the truck and I should get something like a Hellwig anti-sway bar. That's just a guess though. My speedometer was never recalibrated after the lift if that makes a difference. The light doesn't flash around every curve or anything like that and if I go slower around sharp curves, it won't come on at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have a Readylift 6" kit and 37's on my 5th gen 1500. On occasion, the traction control light flashes when going around an off-ramp or around a circle. Going around the circle near me, it won't come on at 23 mph, but will come on going 25 mph or higher. My first thought was maybe it's sway in the rear end of the truck and I should get something like a Hellwig anti-sway bar. That's just a guess though. My speedometer was never recalibrated after the lift if that makes a difference. The light doesn't flash around every curve or anything like that and if I go slower around sharp curves, it won't come on at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Is this only left turns? The easiest diagnostic would be live data on a scanner to see what wheel is seeing slippage. I have seen this with bad alignments and binding bushings from components being tightened in the air.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this only left turns? The easiest diagnostic would be live data on a scanner to see what wheel is seeing slippage. I have seen this with bad alignments and binding bushings from components being tightened in the air.
Funny you say that....I gave it a lot of thought after posting. And, the answer is yes, left curves seem to trigger it. Also,when I first had the lift installed, it didn't happen. But, I wasn't happy with the stance and thought it was nose high, so I brought it back to the installer to add 3/4" spacers above the rear coils afetr maybe 100 miles. It started the day after picking it up from that install. But, it could have been me driving faster around curves. Not sure...

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Funny you say that....I gave it a lot of thought after posting. And, the answer is yes, left curves seem to trigger it. Also,when I first had the lift installed, it didn't happen. But, I wasn't happy with the stance and thought it was nose high, so I brought it back to the installer to add 3/4" spacers above the rear coils afetr maybe 100 miles. It started the day after picking it up from that install. But, it could have been me driving faster around curves. Not sure...
Ram suspensions are one of the trickiest as they have too many happy places. There are a lot of variables but since you went back I would think it was an in and out “quick” job and the control arms in the rear are binding or stock suspension specs where used during the alignment

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Searching around on the internet, it seems like there's quite a few others with the same problem as mine. And, so far, I'm not finding any clear answers on the cause. Here's some things I'm finding..

"The body lean from the added height could be setting off the yaw sensor"

"I bought a 21 big horn in Oct 21 with a dealer installed (mopar) lift kit and 35s. Had this issue since day one. They've calibrated it, aligned it, and also had the truck for 6 months (just got it back in March 22) had techs from Detroit, engineers etc trying to figure it out. They replaced the ABS module and I believe the orc module as well. Still does it. I've tried alpha obd, and still no luck. Anyone got this sorted yet? I want to go bigger on lift, but this is annoying."

"i am a dodge tech, I just fixed this problem on a lifted 1500. had a ready lift and i swapped out the front steering knuckles with ones from fabtech. the ready lift ones were a lot differently designed"

"I’ve read that changing the sway bar helps but honestly haven’t done anything to mine yet."

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few more...

1. Speedometer Calibration: You mentioned that your speedometer was never recalibrated after the lift. Speedometer calibration is crucial after modifications like lifting or changing tire sizes. An inaccurate speedometer reading could trigger the traction control system at certain speeds during turns.
  2. Wheel Speed Sensors: Faulty wheel speed sensors can cause unexpected traction control activation. These sensors monitor individual wheel speeds and play a key role in stability control systems. If one of them is malfunctioning, it might trigger the light during curves.
  3. ABS Control Module: The ABS control module manages the anti-lock braking system and traction control. A malfunctioning module could lead to false traction control alerts. Consider having it checked by a mechanic.
  4. Steering Angle Sensor: The steering angle sensor provides data about your steering wheel position. If it’s faulty, it might affect stability control. An OBD2 scanner can help diagnose this issue.
  5. Low Battery Voltage: Insufficient battery voltage can cause electronic glitches. Ensure your battery is in good condition.
  6. Sway and Body Roll: The lift kit may introduce more body sway during turns. Consider adding an anti-sway bar (such as a Hellwig anti-sway bar) to improve stability.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
A few more...

1. Speedometer Calibration: You mentioned that your speedometer was never recalibrated after the lift. Speedometer calibration is crucial after modifications like lifting or changing tire sizes. An inaccurate speedometer reading could trigger the traction control system at certain speeds during turns.
  2. Wheel Speed Sensors: Faulty wheel speed sensors can cause unexpected traction control activation. These sensors monitor individual wheel speeds and play a key role in stability control systems. If one of them is malfunctioning, it might trigger the light during curves.
  3. ABS Control Module: The ABS control module manages the anti-lock braking system and traction control. A malfunctioning module could lead to false traction control alerts. Consider having it checked by a mechanic.
  4. Steering Angle Sensor: The steering angle sensor provides data about your steering wheel position. If it’s faulty, it might affect stability control. An OBD2 scanner can help diagnose this issue.
  5. Low Battery Voltage: Insufficient battery voltage can cause electronic glitches. Ensure your battery is in good condition.
  6. Sway and Body Roll: The lift kit may introduce more body sway during turns. Consider adding an anti-sway bar (such as a Hellwig anti-sway bar) to improve stability.
There are no doubt a lot of variables I’ve fixed a bunch of botched suspensions and 99% were do to installer error. If I had more time I would categorize them and post each issue and fix on our Instagram but there is not enough time in the day.
We’ve had trucks come in for odd noises and intermittent issues like yours. Each one is normally something stupid or need’s something replaced caused by improper installation.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no doubt a lot of variables I’ve fixed a bunch of botched suspensions and 99% were do to installer error. If I had more time I would categorize them and post each issue and fix on our Instagram but there is not enough time in the day.
We’ve had trucks come in for odd noises and intermittent issues like yours. Each one is normally something stupid or need’s something replaced caused by improper installation.
I'm sure! That's my guess....a damaged wire, a sensor plug not completely seated...etc. I think the place that did the install is pretty reputable, but when I contacted them about right after the install they basically said they've never had that happen before with these trucks. They said to bring it in and they would scan for codes, which I haven't done. Since you're in Aston, not too far away, you probably know of the shop I used. They're in South Jersey.... a place called Liquid Iron.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I'm sure! That's my guess....a damaged wire, a sensor plug not completely seated...etc. I think the place that did the install is pretty reputable, but when I contacted them about right after the install they basically said they've never had that happen before with these trucks. They said to bring it in and they would scan for codes, which I haven't done. Since you're in Aston, not too far away, you probably know of the shop I used. They're in South Jersey.... a place called Liquid Iron.
Yes Im aware of them. The reason we started doing what we're doing is nobody cares anymore. Your truck came out too nose high because simple math was not used in the beginning. Rams vary ride heights from the factory that is why every kits says you will achieve approx heights. The band aid was to add additional height in the rear instead of pulling the front end back apart. Now you as a customer is stuck with issues and not optimal geometry on your suspension components. Do they care nope, are you 110% confident that all the bolts and your lug nuts were torqued properly? is your alignment done right on the way outdated used equipment they have there? I had a guy yesterday with an Audi RS5 that went to a very well known tire shop. He said my wheel is bent and the owner told him it was never going to balance out. It had 5 oz of weight and the customer was mad they didnt clean the old residue off the wheel. I said you got the same service a lady in a 93 minivan that could care less about what her wheels look like. Nobody cared that its an $80,000 car and the wheel vibrated over 60mph. We cleaned the old residue and road forced balanced the wheel and the guy has been singing praises. If you want to do the best work you have to have the best stuff. The place you went to is not equipped to turn out a great product. Mixed with a level of care to treat your truck better than they would treat their own. We have seen some scary stuff

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't say I agree with everything you said, as I personally know many people that have had their lifts installed there and are all super happy.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Can't say I agree with everything you said, as I personally know many people that have had their lifts installed there and are all super happy.
I do too and I like the guys there. I’m not bashing them. It’s the industry as a whole. I am very aware of their alignment rack though and before we invested in ourselves and purchased one, we made a deal with a local shop to allow us use of their rack so we could put out top notch products. Ram is just one of those trucks you can follow the instructions to a T and it’s still wrong. I learned it with my own truck first hand.

208Uncharted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I lifted my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn 2 years ago and this problem has been present ever since. Lift amount is 3.5" front (lift struts and new upper A arms) and 1.5" rear. I've had it aligned multiple times, had steering angle sensor checked and set at dealer two times, have gone and verified that no wires are pulled/pinched, broken, etc., and I've had the dealer flash it with an update that was supposedly to address this very problem. Nothing worked. It only acts up on windy roads, not when daily driving around town or on the freeway. Tight turns at speed though in the right situation and it does it turning either direction. Really makes driving to the ski hill fun when the truck thinks I am out of control and tries to take over every 5 turns or so. It also does it when towing a travel trailer on windy roads, equally fun. I'd love to find a solution because my dealer has no other ideas for how to remedy this other than put it back to stock. It's interesting that some people have this issue and others don't after lifting.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lifted my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn 2 years ago and this problem has been present ever since. Lift amount is 3.5" front (lift struts and new upper A arms) and 1.5" rear. I've had it aligned multiple times, had steering angle sensor checked and set at dealer two times, have gone and verified that no wires are pulled/pinched, broken, etc., and I've had the dealer flash it with an update that was supposedly to address this very problem. Nothing worked. It only acts up on windy roads, not when daily driving around town or on the freeway. Tight turns at speed though in the right situation and it does it turning either direction. Really makes driving to the ski hill fun when the truck thinks I am out of control and tries to take over every 5 turns or so. It also does it when towing a travel trailer on windy roads, equally fun. I'd love to find a solution because my dealer has no other ideas for how to remedy this other than put it back to stock. It's interesting that some people have this issue and others don't after lifting.

Here's what I'm going to try...

I'm going to purchase the security by-pass cable and the AlfaOBD app. Then I'm going to recalibrate tire size to the larger tires, then run ABS initialization, static ECU initialization, clearing rolls initialization and then clear faults.

I'll let you know if this works.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The only true way to diag is to connect a scanner and watch the live data. Go through as many scenarios to create the problem and see if it’s the same wheel sensor every time.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only true way to diag is to connect a scanner and watch the live data. Go through as many scenarios to create the problem and see if it’s the same wheel sensor every time.
It's typically the front left, but last week, I purposely took a right curve off-ramp a little faster too which triggered it on the right front. The changes I want to make in alfaobd should be made regardless, to change the circumference of the larger tires. I have a good scanner but haven't tried to read live data.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
It's typically the front left, but last week, I purposely took a right curve off-ramp a little faster too which triggered it on the right front. The changes I want to make in alfaobd should be made regardless, to change the circumference of the larger tires. I have a good scanner but haven't tried to read live data.
A good scanner should let you change tire size be careful most are millimeter values.
Have a passenger watch live data if your scanner is good you can put what pids you want to watch and see what’s triggering.
Also does it do it with traction control off?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I had a similar issue to yours come in yesterday. Implausible data on ABS sensor code in computer.
He was intermittent like your issue. I programmed the tire size and did an adaptation transmission relearn. Drove it for 57 miles and seemed to fix it. The truck was a 23 with 35’s. Tire size and tpms thresholds were not touched by previous shop

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar issue to yours come in yesterday. Implausible data on ABS sensor code in computer.
He was intermittent like your issue. I programmed the tire size and did an adaptation transmission relearn. Drove it for 57 miles and seemed to fix it. The truck was a 23 with 35’s. Tire size and tpms thresholds were not touched by previous shop
Good to hear! I have everything to reprogram it with alfaOBD...just haven't done it yet. I'll post here what happens.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Re-Calibration of YAW sensor or communication alert