metal flakes in the oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalspecs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i had my oil changed and they found metal flakes in the old oil. suggested i go to dealer and see what could / should be done. its a 2019 ram 1500 with 42720 miles .
dealer advised unless there was a knocking sound or some other large problem Chrysler wont pay them to tear it down to investigate to find the issue to prevent a problem. i guess it will have to wait untill it does start knocking and go out of warranty of course

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do a short oil change interval this next time. Mayb 2000 or 3000 miles and get an oil analysis done by Blackstone labs or some other lab that does oil analysis to have some proof of what is going on. Maybe even have the dealer do the next change and see what they say about the oil. Make them grab the sample to send to a lab for analysis also if the dealer does it. Other option is to trade it before power train warranty is gone.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Make sure you have a second vehicle available. That could be many things, but several of those end up with a full engine rebuild.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Do you idle a lot? Or remote start a lot and let it sit there idling? If so, don't. 3rd gen eagle hemi's have very shallow lifter angles. Oil does not run down the lifters to the cam lobes. It falls off before even hitting the roller. Only way the cam lobes are oiled is via crank sling, and even that is somewhat problematic due to the increased distance between the cam and crank, and the lovely engineering of putting an oil passage between the two. Consequently that sling is also how the lifter rollers are oiled.

Best way to keep these engines lubricated properly is to start them and get moving.

Or slap in a set of Johnson axle oiling lifters. Not cheap, but solves a lot of problems.

gmotoring

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
hemi 6.4
Do you idle a lot? Or remote start a lot and let it sit there idling? If so, don't. 3rd gen eagle hemi's have very shallow lifter angles. Oil does not run down the lifters to the cam lobes. It falls off before even hitting the roller. Only way the cam lobes are oiled is via crank sling, and even that is somewhat problematic due to the increased distance between the cam and crank, and the lovely engineering of putting an oil passage between the two. Consequently that sling is also how the lifter rollers are oiled.

Best way to keep these engines lubricated properly is to start them and get moving.

Or slap in a set of Johnson axle oiling lifters. Not cheap, but solves a lot of problems.
Dang, a little nervous, jut bought a used 2021 2500 with 6.4hemi, 26K miles and after I got home I noticed it has 300 hours of idle, no noise or tick yet.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Dang, a little nervous, jut bought a used 2021 2500 with 6.4hemi, 26K miles and after I got home I noticed it has 300 hours of idle, no noise or tick yet.
Don't rely on that 'idle/drive time' indicator at all.
It is a known failed point on our vehicles.
Mine has changed three times that I'm conscious of over four years, to the tune of hundreds of ours difference on either the idle or drive time indications.
Listen to the engine at full operating temps. Check the oil and smell it, too. Look at the coolant in the tank (remove rad cap), and ask for service records.
If you have any contacts at a Dealership, get the VIN run to see what has been done under warranty.
Use a top quality synthetic oil and filter, and keep your intervals at no more than 5,000 miles (8,000Km's).
My $0.02

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Probably a roasted lifter eating in to a cam lobe. Won't be long before misfires.
That is what i would suspect. Got the Hemi tick? That also is often a harbinger of lifter failure.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. There are many theories and very little in the way of hard data and scientific failure analysis.

Change oil earlier than suggested by the OLM and sleep well. OCI of 5k is frequently recommended.