Mileage- Small Camper and Eco Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I ended up getting a deal on the next step up camper in the same series. the dealer listed the step camper at the same price. I figured it was a mistake but I told them I was very interested at getting this camper at this price (I had screen shot the listing). They sold it at that price. I think I got a real good deal.
HITCH WEIGHT425 lb.
GVWR 4,525 lb.
UVW 3,790 lb.
LENGTH21' 6
EXTERIOR HEIGHT10' 0"

I towed it home on a variety of typical Texas backroads and Interstate Highway. It showed about 15.5mpg and there was a lot of traffic. This weekend I'll do a longer trip to the beach and I expect the mileage to improve slightly.

I don't have a weight distributing, sway elimination hitch setup yet. It towed well without it. But, I'm still trying to determine a good setup for this relatively small trailer.

You're PROBABLY okay without one, but it's worth it to get one. You could likely get away with a cheaper Curt/Reese bar-and-chain setup for WD plus a separate friction sway bar. It's what I've ALWAYS run, sure it takes a little time to hook up and disconnect but I've never needed more than that, and generally speaking the entire setup comes in under $500. Sure you need a good impact with some high torque values to make sure everything is tight, but once it's set up you don't have to mess with it again.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
How many ugga dugga's is 100 ft/lbs?
We're going to derail this thread...but it depends on the impact and whether it's got multiple settings or not, and if it's electric or air (or in rare cases, hydraulic).

On my personal air one at home, setting 3 of 6 and about 3 ugga duggas is 120 ft-lbs (maxes out at 650). On my electric I don't trust it yet so I always double-check with the torque wrench.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
We're going to derail this thread...but it depends on the impact and whether it's got multiple settings or not, and if it's electric or air (or in rare cases, hydraulic).

On my personal air one at home, setting 3 of 6 and about 3 ugga duggas is 120 ft-lbs (maxes out at 650). On my electric I don't trust it yet so I always double-check with the torque wrench.

My question was sarcasm. An impact gun is in no way accurate for applying a torque load. Torque sticks "might" get you in the ball park, within about +/- 15 ft/lbs.

A cheap $30 Harbor Freight torque wrench is far more accurate than an impact gun.

OP
OP
gtex1970

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
so my first trip to the beach resulted in a round trip mileage of about 13.5mpg. A little disappointing. But, I think I had strong headwind on the way there. But overall, I am happy with the way it towed the camper. This thing is so much easier to get around with. Parking lots, gas stations, RV parks, all so much easier than the previous trailer that was quite a bit longer. It pulled well even without a weight distributing anti-sway hitch. but, i'll probably add one anyway, just for more confidence in the wind.

the very first night in the camper was boondocking on the beach after setting up at midnight. My generator was a little grumpy at first but I finally got it good enough to run the AC.

camper beach.jpg

IdahoDen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm really enjoying my 2022 1500 eco Diesel, especially the mileage. taking it easy on the highways of Texas, I easily see 30mpg. I'm looking at aa small Camper: 3000lbs, under 10feet tall, 20 feet long.

I have 3.21 gears and 4wd.

Do you think I can still get 15, possibly even 20mpg with that camper?
At your elevation you will easily get 15 mpg. We live in SE Idaho at 6200 ft elevation and get 17-18 mpg pulling our 21 ft, 4600 lb travel trailer driving a mix of local 35-45 mph roads, mountain passes and interstate hwy.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Wind resistance makes a big difference. We get +/- 19mpg with our 2017 EcoDiesel pulling our low profile 3500 lb popup.

OP
OP
gtex1970

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
we made another beach run at the end of the year. on the way back, we stopped for diesel and snacks. About 35 miles down the road I noticed the mileage had improved some then realized I had not selected Tow/Haul mode. I left it Off for the trip home and watched the transmission temperature. The transmission temperature was steady 190-194 (below center) with outside temperature in the upper 70s. I did not notice an excessive amount of shifting gears. It does allow 8th gear, which does not happen in Tow mode. Mileage improved 2.5-3 MPG. This is on south Texas interstates, with gently rolling hills running about 65-70mph. camper is about 4000lbs empty , 10ft tall and there's probably another 1000lbs of boys, dogs and gear in the truck/trailer.

seeing improved mileage and no significant increase in transmission temperature tells me i'm probably OK with Tow/Haul Mode set to Off. which bumps me up to about 15.5MPG :)

What do y'all think?

Redbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 & 2016
Engine
3.0L
I'm really enjoying my 2022 1500 eco Diesel, especially the mileage. taking it easy on the highways of Texas, I easily see 30mpg. I'm looking at aa small Camper: 3000lbs, under 10feet tall, 20 feet long.

I have 3.21 gears and 4wd.

Do you think I can still get 15, possibly even 20mpg with that camper?
Yes, depending of course on how you drive. I have a '16 & a 2023 Diesels, both with 3.21s and have found wind resistance (i.e. the size & shape of the front of the trailer) is far more important than the weight until you get into stop/go driving. Also note the dash f.e. display is pretty optimistic and will usually display 1.5 - 3 mpg more than the actual, so keep track of miles divided by actual gallons used to get a realistic number. Average over several fills, compare to dash display.
Final note: bump your tire pressures up 2 psi over recommended to further improve f.e.

Redbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 & 2016
Engine
3.0L
we made another beach run at the end of the year. on the way back, we stopped for diesel and snacks. About 35 miles down the road I noticed the mileage had improved some then realized I had not selected Tow/Haul mode. I left it Off for the trip home and watched the transmission temperature. The transmission temperature was steady 190-194 (below center) with outside temperature in the upper 70s. I did not notice an excessive amount of shifting gears. It does allow 8th gear, which does not happen in Tow mode. Mileage improved 2.5-3 MPG. This is on south Texas interstates, with gently rolling hills running about 65-70mph. camper is about 4000lbs empty , 10ft tall and there's probably another 1000lbs of boys, dogs and gear in the truck/trailer.

seeing improved mileage and no significant increase in transmission temperature tells me i'm probably OK with Tow/Haul Mode set to Off. which bumps me up to about 15.5MPG :)

What do y'all think?
Ah yes; tow/haul mode... Best reserved for mountain driving with long downhills!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

What do y'all think?

T/H is made for a reason, I would never turn mine off to try and improve MPG.

My truck will pull my trailer in 7th under the right conditions, but its not that happy doing it so whenever I tow I gear limit to 6th and leave T/H on.

I have no experience towing with your ED but I do know I would never prioritize MPG over engine life/health etc.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My truck will pull my trailer in 7th under the right conditions, but its not that happy doing it so whenever I tow I gear limit to 6th and leave T/H on.

I have no experience towing with your ED but I do know I would never prioritize MPG over engine life/health etc.
Tow/haul keeps your transmission cooler by not allowing it to hunt gears as much, and keeping it out of O/D (top gear), which also increases temp. I always use T/H when pulling my camper.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tow/haul keeps your transmission cooler by not allowing it to hunt gears as much, and keeping it out of O/D (top gear), which also increases temp. I always use T/H when pulling my camper.
Maybe on your 2016 and some others, but not on my 2023 2500. This came up in another thread. I hadn't given it a thought prior, but the next day I engaged T/H and got out on the highway. It went into 8th gear in T/H mode at a bit over 60 MPH, just like when I have T/H turned off.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I absolutely agree, but that kind of brings up a question - with so many other nanny devices on these trucks, I wonder why T/H doesn't automatically engage when you plug in a trailer? At least when plugged into the 7-pin connector, which usually means you're towing a heavier trailer with brakes.

Last edited:

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe on your 2016 and some others, but not on my 2023 2500. This came up in another thread. I hadn't given it a thought prior, but the next day I engaged T/H and got out on the highway. It went into 8th gear in T/H mode at a bit over 60 MPH, just like when I have T/H turned off.
Nah, I think you are right about OD/8th gear. I'm thinking about another vehicle I owned with this feature. I'm pretty sure my '16 can hit 8th gear in T/H mode. I do wonder if T/H increases line pressure (ie more fluid circulation). Anyway, I use it when towing.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nah, I think you are right about OD/8th gear. I'm thinking about another vehicle I owned with this feature. I'm pretty sure my '16 can hit 8th gear in T/H mode. I do wonder if T/H increases line pressure (ie more fluid circulation). Anyway, I use it when towing.
You're not the first one to say that it does lock out OD, that's why I experimented with it to see. T/H just keeps it in range for a bit longer between shift points is what I understand. At a certain speed/RPM it's still going to want to shift higher if it can. Some of the people here say they use it all the time, even in city traffic. Personally, I never tow anything faster than 65, and that would be out on the open freeway with minimal traffic like crossing New Mexico on I-10, but I've seen posts on here and elsewhere where guys say they tow at 75 to 80 MPH. Bad ju-ju.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I absolutely agree, but that kind of brings up a question - with so many other nanny devices on these trucks, I wonder why T/H doesn't automatically engage when you plug in a trailer? At least when plugged into the 7-pin connector, which usually means your towing a heavier trailer with brakes.

Yes, both turning on T/H by default and disabling the rear parking sensors should be done when plugging in a trailer. If they can tell me when a signal light is out they should be able to get this going too.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, both turning on T/H by default and disabling the rear parking sensors should be done when plugging in a trailer. If they can tell me when a signal light is out they should be able to get this going too.
Yes, having set up so you need to disable it after a trailer is connected would be a better option. Luckily, parking sensors is another thing I don't have so I don't need to deal with it/them.