My truck suddenly refused to start after I got home from Home Depot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 litre slt v8
Crank but no start. I sprayed starting fluid and it's coughing but wouldn't start. Without starting fluid it would just cranking then an ugh then cranking then an ugh ... cycling. I swapped the fuel pump relay fuse, same issue.

So I got home from home Depot hauling a pallet of cement, unloaded the cement and start the truck, it wouldn't start.

No error code or check engine before this happened. The truck was running fine for a year no issue at all, very strong, except with the fuel gauge not working.

My odb2 could not communicate with it, so I ordered a replacement odb2 pre-programmed, still same issue. However odb2 does communicate now but showing no issue.

Next I replaced the fuel pump since the fuel gauge wasn't working. Well the new fuel pump the fuel gauge still not working when I turn on the key acc. Then I noticed no fuel pump humming when I turned key on. Further test indeed no fuel pump turning on, so I by pass the relay with 12v and the fuel is pumping, so this is another issue why wouldn't it pumping, the relay fuse seems to be ok, I swapped it with the one next to it, unless all the relay are bad.

With the fuel pump bypass is pumping, I tried to start again but same issue, crank no start even with starting fluid.

So look like I still need to fix fuel pump issue, could it be clogged? Pressure issue? But what if fuel pump is fix but crank no start still there.

I'm thinking of replacing the cam sensor and crank sensor next. Maybe the ignition coil also but maybe test ignition first.

Does this truck have a fuel filter other than the one on the fuel tank pump?

Any advice anyone have would be greatly appreciated.

2002 Dodge ram slt v8 5.9litre

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check for spark first.

It could be a cam/crank sensor issue but then it would act like timing was off (as you cranked it youd get an occasional putt like it wanted to start).

Could be a computer issue, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357