Long crank before start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

55f250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I've read through a ton of issues with the TIPM on these trucks. Before the long crank before start my cruise control was intermittent, wouldn't engage no matter how many time I hit the button on steering wheel. Then all of a sudden it started working. I just recently had all the injectors replaced due to misfire on #2 cylinder, all was well for a couple of days, then one day I went to start and it cranked for a few seconds before start. This has never happened before. I've read about the bypass and replacing the fuel pump relay, I've ordered a new TIPM, I wouldn't have done this in the past but I'm getting to old to spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Being that this is plug and play I figured this was my best alternative. I'll keep everyone post as to what this does.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, I've read through a ton of issues with the TIPM on these trucks. Before the long crank before start my cruise control was intermittent, wouldn't engage no matter how many time I hit the button on steering wheel. Then all of a sudden it started working. I just recently had all the injectors replaced due to misfire on #2 cylinder, all was well for a couple of days, then one day I went to start and it cranked for a few seconds before start. This has never happened before. I've read about the bypass and replacing the fuel pump relay, I've ordered a new TIPM, I wouldn't have done this in the past but I'm getting to old to spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Being that this is plug and play I figured this was my best alternative. I'll keep everyone post as to what this does.
I recently discovered a "feature" of starting our vehicles that's meant to crank the engine without starting. If one steps on the brakes and the gas simultaneously and turns the key to start/presses the start button, the truck will crank until the pedals are released.

All this to say, if everything else appears good, maybe this is a pedal sensor problem?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I recently discovered a "feature" of starting our vehicles that's meant to crank the engine without starting. If one steps on the brakes and the gas simultaneously and turns the key to start/presses the start button, the truck will crank until the pedals are released.

All this to say, if everything else appears good, maybe this is a pedal sensor problem?
That is great info. I never knew this. Interested to know how you came across this tidbit. Never seen it in the owners manual or read it anywhere else. Really handy for starting after pickup has been sitting for extended period. Gets some oil up into motor before it fires up.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was recently thinking about this very thing. A way to let the engine crank for a couple of seconds before starting when i change the oil. For when you get a bit of chatter until the oil is pumped through the engine. I will try this when I do or like mentioned when it sits for long periods.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That is great info. I never knew this. Interested to know how you came across this tidbit. Never seen it in the owners manual or read it anywhere else. Really handy for starting after pickup has been sitting for extended period. Gets some oil up into motor before it fires up.
Completely agree, I work from home and the truck is not our family vehicle so sometimes it can go days without being started, this will be my go to startup method when it's sat for a bit.

I found it by hearing it mentioned by Jeep owners that are installing a (fairly pricey) Oil filter relocation kit that allows for canister filters on the 3.6L. The relocation kit has a check valve in it that prevents oil from flowing down when the engine isn't running to keep oil in the top of the engine.

Looking into this led me to a video of someone pointing out how they pre-lube the engine on cold starts to eliminate the startup chatter. I figured it was worth a try on the Ram since a lot of the logic in the BCM is shared across brands and it worked!

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone told me that trick except they said you just had to hold the gas. The truck redlined immediately on startup LOL