NEED HELP! The elusive abs issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floridamac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I have recently started scrolling through these forums in search of help with my abs/electrical issues I am experiencing. It seems like this is almost standard for my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7. ABS, traction control, service transmission, the list goes on. I went and took it to the dealership to have it looked at, far beyond warranty at this point. And they told me it was my abs module and gave me the standard, it’s going to be awhile speech. Back ordered for months. I do not think it’s the abs module itself. Recently installed a replacement and I am experiencing the same issue. Can’t even connect to the abs to initialize or view faults. I am thinking this is going to be a can bus issue. Is there anyone that can help point me in the right direction? No communication to the abs module at all. Can bus C? Any where I should look? I poked my head under the steering column and saw an unconnected wire and crimp connector but don’t know if that’s for a missing option. Any help would be appreciated so I can stop paying for a rental.

Attachments

• IMG_5441.jpeg
    IMG_5441.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5440.jpeg
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5439.jpeg
    IMG_5439.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5438.jpeg
    IMG_5438.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
F

Floridamac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. Found a wire cluster with some shotty looking wires. Does anyone know what this white plate of receptacles is?

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 25

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You for sure have a fault, are you the original owner, that butt splice connector by that module would give me concern, the HD 2500 have allot of problems with the ABS Module, the dealer has the equipment to diagnose the abs module maybe it just needs a recalibration, cost wise thay are expensive to replace but still need the dealer to recalibrate, but hay try this go to a parking lot and put it in reverse and push down the brake pedal aggressively to get the ABS to actuate, this may clear the fault, has there been any brake work done recently?

OP
OP
F

Floridamac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not the original owner but truck has been working fine up until a few months ago when my speedometer would drop to 0, my power steering would lose strength, and now it’s a whole other slew of issues such as my service shifter warning message and it’s now locked in park. I found an old intoxilock wire plugged into the bcm as well. Insulation is worn and has exposed copper. Wondering if that is an issue shorting out the bcm? The main problem is there is no way to connect to the abs module to read or communicate with it. Dealership said it was bad and I replaced it with a refurb. Still no communication so I’m guessing it’s between the connector and the bcm? Not sure but I’m going to keep trying to dig.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would closely inspect your harnesses, it appears that the insulation is damaged on one or more wires in your photo . Possibly a broken wire?

dodgekenworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go threw all the wiring that's been disturbed if some body was in there before you they might of fixed something before you had it and now there repair has failed you might have to go threw all the wiring if it looks like the person was butcher who knows what they have done and if real bad i would find used harness somewhere

OP
OP
F

Floridamac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I don’t disagree. I am getting some weird voltages from the data link connector on the can bus so I am going to take a look at the star connectors.

Gasdude59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
So after over a year and multiple attempts, my dealer finally got the part in and corrected the issue. Finally the "Service Electronic Brake System" warning is gone.
BTW this is the third time it was repaired for this same issue.
The repair report states, verbatim, "Customer back in for ordered ABS module. The original one got damaged due to the replacement ABS motor shorted which was a deflective part brand new. (It was in a few months ago for the attempted ABS-STC repair at which time they tried the hydraulic unit part) The motor was shorted out and blew the ABS fuse as well as damaging the module".
So one would think the module would be under warranty since the pervious attempted repair part was defective from the factory and "Blew Out" the module.
Guess what, when I challenged the part charge (Part 68347098AB 08035030Y) of $432.00, they said RAM declined to replace it under warranty. Really?? A (defective replacement) part tired before blew out the module and it is not covered??
The dealer did not charge labor due to my time wasted for multiple trips there.
So Guess what else? I will never buy any Stellantis junk again, and everyone should think hard before doing so. Adios Ram.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So after over a year and multiple attempts, my dealer finally got the part in and corrected the issue. Finally the "Service Electronic Brake System" warning is gone.
BTW this is the third time it was repaired for this same issue.
The repair report states, verbatim, "Customer back in for ordered ABS module. The original one got damaged due to the replacement ABS motor shorted which was a deflective part brand new. (It was in a few months ago for the attempted ABS-STC repair at which time they tried the hydraulic unit part) The motor was shorted out and blew the ABS fuse as well as damaging the module".
So one would think the module would be under warranty since the pervious attempted repair part was defective from the factory and "Blew Out" the module.
Guess what, when I challenged the part charge (Part 68347098AB 08035030Y) of $432.00, they said RAM declined to replace it under warranty. Really?? A (defective replacement) part tired before blew out the module and it is not covered??
The dealer did not charge labor due to my time wasted for multiple trips there.
So Guess what else? I will never buy any Stellantis junk again, and everyone should think hard before doing so. Adios Ram.
Glad you got it fixed. Now go join a ford forum.