Oil temp warning and engine power reduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdasilva27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Hi all, just got my first ram and first diesel truck. I’ve had it for a week and I’m at my wit’s end already.
It’s a 2016 ram 1500 Laramie longhorn 3.0 eco diesel. The engine was strong, it test drove well, no warning lights throughout the test drive and the 2 hour drive home. A few days later, the oil temp light came on and engine power was reduced to the point the truck wouldn’t accelerate past 30mph. Did a little research and thought maybe the dealership had the wrong oil or filter in. So did an oil change. New oil filter and used shell rotella 5w-40. It ran fine the rest of the day and next day. Day 3, it ran fine in the morning but the light came on and engine power reduced again in the afternoon. Let it sit overnight and it’s fine so far today. When it happens, no other temps are high. Transmission, coolant, etc are all good. Oil pressure is good. I did smell a little burnt oil though yesterday. Currently the outside temp is 80 degrees whereas yesterday afternoon, it was 92. But it was 90 when I drove it around town Sunday, the day after the oil change too. Note that this happens even with no weight in the truck and I’m not towing. It’s a 4x2 model. Any advice on what I should check or fix/replace next? Just bought the truck to run a business so I can’t have it down all afternoon every day. Thanks in advance!

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the oil temp on the dash match the coolant temp on a cold start up and climb similarly? Should be a bit slower than coolant temp, then settle just above coolant temp.

Does it just steadily climb or does it make a big jump at some point?

If nothing else is going awry, I'd suspect the oil temp sensor (wherever that may be) or perhaps it's wiring. There's not much to a temp sensor circuit.

OP
OP
S

sdasilva27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
They match at cold and typically the oil stays within 20 or so of the coolant.
However when it “decides” to act up, the oil temp just keeps climbing by 2-3 degrees. There’s no big jump. It’s gotten up to 292 and at that point, the engine loses power.
Runs great when it can seem to stay cool, but difficult living in Florida like that…

OP
OP
S

sdasilva27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Actually, I just noticed that the coolant reservoir is suddenly empty. It was full just a couple days ago. No warnings or lights relating to coolant however.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357