Outward dent in tailgate from factory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Oh that would totally bug the sh#t out of me…. especially being on a dark color o_O

Ocd as well :waytogo:
Yep! I know it’s a truck and should be used as a truck but just sucks being new and not damage me or anyone else in a parking lot did. I will see what the dealer says. With my luck they will ‘fix it’ and **** it up more.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, there's something on the inside that pushed it out. Could be an extra-long fastener, an errant loose nut from mfgr that got under a bracket. A stone. Something. Might have occured after the truck left the factory. Remove the inner panel and have a look.

Now on this picture (below) ...it's an easy one: A rock got thrown up and is wedged between the inner wheel housing and the outer skin. Probably with the pointed part of the stone facing outward. The inner fender tapers down to a very small gap of about 1/8" ...between the inner and outer panels. So vibration and such causes the rock to get worked down, even causes an outer dimple. I cleaned the rocks out of my trucks inner wheel housing last year (to do undercoating) ...and got quite a lot of rocks and debris out.

image-jpg.jpg

BTW, Below is a pic showing a simple tool i made out of 18ga with a rounded nose. The pic shows how (where) to clean the stones out of the rear wheel wells. You have to get the tool between the inner/outer panels. The rocks wedge in there pretty tight. Remove the rocks/gravel/sand/dirt ...wash thoroughly, let dry, apply oil (fluid film hangs ....won't flow through ..there's seam sealer on the wheel lip. Use oil). This is mostly for the rust-belt owners ...lol. Its work. A guy could just squirt oil up there, but it's best to get rid of the dirt/sand and gravel. The green tape shows the outline of the inner whee housing.

Attachments

• 20221005_130856.jpg
    20221005_130856.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a small sample what I removed from my trucks rear wheel lip. The large ones can lead to outer dimples. Part of owning a truck I guess :D :

20221005_131713_exported_41248.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PDR will fix it , you will never know it was there.
That would be very nice my main concern is just the paint, just don’t want it to crack or rust

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed! The paintless dent guys will let you know if they can handle it or not. Or you can take it to a bodyshop and get an estimate. I'd get it dealt with ...no reason to let such a thing eat at you. Get it fixed and move on to other things.

I've also had amazing results with paintless dent repair. And no rust. But worst case, if the paint is cracked, there are ways to deal with that too.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed! The paintless dent guys will let you know if they can handle it or not. Or you can take it to a bodyshop and get an estimate. I'd get it dealt with ...no reason to let such a thing eat at you. Get it fixed and move on to other things.

I've also had amazing results with paintless dent repair. And no rust. But worst case, if the paint is cracked, there are ways to deal with that too.
I am guessing they should be able to do outward ‘pimple’ looking dents as well?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I am guessing they should be able to do outward ‘pimple’ looking dents as well?

Why not call someone in your area that does PDR and ask them. They could give you the answer your looking for. And, I imagine they can remove it without any issues as that is how they make their $$$.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Why not call someone in your area that does PDR and ask them. They could give you the answer your looking for. And, I imagine they can remove it without any issues as that is how they make their $$$.

Added note: Take your truck to them (PDR) and let them look at the dent. They will be able to tell you if the can or cannot repair it.

If they say that it's no problem and your leary of their process, then ask them if they have an example of thier work that you could take look at ... a pic, maybe. If not, find another PDR tech that satisfies your situation.

Simple.

Or, lower your tailgate down and back your truck up onto a tree, claim it on your insurance and state that "some one" banged into your tailgate, lol and just kidding. The deductible would probably exceed what an PDR tech can do.

Btw, that "pimple" of an dent would be hard for me to look at, too. And I would also have it repaired if it were on my truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Added note: Take your truck to them (PDR) and let them look at the dent. They will be able to tell you if the can or cannot repair it.

If they say that it's no problem and your leary of their process, then ask them if they have an example of thier work that you could take look at ... a pic, maybe. If not, find another PDR tech that satisfies your situation.

Simple.

Or, lower your tailgate down and back your truck up onto a tree, claim it on your insurance and state that "some one" banged into your tailgate, lol and just kidding. The deductible would probably exceed what an PDR tech can do.

Btw, that "pimple" of an dent would be hard for me to lool at, too. And I would also have it repaired if it were on my truck.
Yes I have a collision friend I am going to get a opinion from, and a few ‘good’ PDR places around me apparently according to google reviews, and a trip to the dealer anyways on the 20th so I will see what all 3 say

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I have a collision friend I am going to get a opinion from, and a few ‘good’ PDR places around me apparently according to google reviews, and a trip to the dealer anyways on the 20th so I will see what all 3 say
The thing here is if the pimple pops and the paint goes fleeing from that spot now you have a paint rust issue, but Yae the dealer will make a mess out of it, I would still want to know what caused this, probably to long of a bolt.