Please help 05 dodge ram 5.7 hemi rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcopadron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck recently started idleing really rough I'll crank it and the revs will go up and down between 4-9 hundred rpm and lights will flicker.I'll give it some gas and it'll stop idleing rough until I let off then usually it will die and start smelling like gas. I've replace the egr valve and cleaned the throttle body but still does it. Also should mention that it won't do it all the time ,I'll turn it off and let it sit for a while and it runs fine. Anything will help at this point. Thanks

OP
OP
M

Marcopadron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also my voltage meter has been reading really high for a couple of months. Is there anyway that it could be letting to much power through and fried something or is causing something to short out

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Your truck engine is controlled and run by a computer. Take it to a competent repair tech who has the scan equip to tell you what part is causing the drive condition. If you are a do it yourself, buy a scan toll and see what fault codes are stored. Look the codes up and that will give you the parts that need to be checked for in or out of spec.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I would stop at autozone or a similar store and have them scan it real quick, if it’s not throwing a check engine light they might be able to see a code with their tool. Normally if a sensor is bad it’s gonna throw a code

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
M

Marcopadron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your truck engine is controlled and run by a computer. Take it to a competent repair tech who has the scan equip to tell you what part is causing the drive condition. If you are a do it yourself, buy a scan toll and see what fault codes are stored. Look the codes up and that will give you the parts that need to be checked for in or out of spec.
Really don't wanna take it to a mechanic and I've checked the codes on the dash is there a possibility that there is a code that won't show on the dash and I would need to get a scan tool

OP
OP
M

Marcopadron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would stop at autozone or a similar store and have them scan it real quick, if it’s not throwing a check engine light they might be able to see a code with their tool. Normally if a sensor is bad it’s gonna throw a code

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Alright thank you I will stop by one tomorrow and see

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye