Questions About Backup Camera Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 and have considered a backup camera install for a while but need some information before I do it. I've included a few pictures to help with my questions.
1. Per the tailgate picture, I don't think there are any pre-installed wires for this? Is this correct?
2. Per the dash pictures, I can't tell what type of radio system it is. It's the original system with navigation. I've read about RA3s and RA4s but don't know what I have. Could someone tell me how to identify this?
3. Looking at kits on line, I see $70 kits on Amazon up to $450 and $630 kits. What's the difference?
4. Based on my questions and photos, what do I need? I will be doing the install myself. I just need some information so I get what I need.
Thanks in advance.20231124_140757.jpg20231124_141054.jpg20231124_141130.jpg

OP
OP
Arkie

Arkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 and have considered a backup camera install for a while but need some information before I do it. I've included a few pictures to help with my questions.
1. Per the tailgate picture, I don't think there are any pre-installed wires for this? Is this correct?
2. Per the dash pictures, I can't tell what type of radio system it is. It's the original system with navigation. I've read about RA3s and RA4s but don't know what I have. Could someone tell me how to identify this?
3. Looking at kits on line, I see $70 kits on Amazon up to $450 and $630 kits. What's the difference?
4. Based on my questions and photos, what do I need? I will be doing the install myself. I just need some information so I get what I need.
Thanks in advance.View attachment 532273View attachment 532274View attachment 532275
I've done a little more research (here and on line). I know I need the tailgate handle/camera (Part# 68101190AK). I think I need this wiring harness to go in the tailgate (Part# 68189124AC). What I'm not sure about is what plugs into the 3rd connector on the wiring harness (see attached photo). I'm thinking there is a wiring harness that runs from this connector to the radio. But I can't find anything on line to verify this. I've also included a picture of what's under my tailgate panel. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231124_165229.jpg
    20231124_165229.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 7
  • connector.png
    connector.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 7

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks in advance.View attachment 532273View attachment 532274View attachment 532275
You have and 8.4 RA4/VP4NA radio. @Mpgrimm2 makes custom harnesses for our trucks to add features like this and can probably help with your upgrade questions. Here is his website with various harnesses.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Assuming you have a locking tailgate?...

You have to remove the intermediate/last harness segment in the tailgate and replace it with that 'Y' segment going to the lock solenoid, camera and original lower tailgate segment.

** The kicker is whether or not you have the chassis segment going from the tailgate connector behind the bumper (8 wires) to the connector behind the left front wheel well ... Or the cab segment from the connectors by the brake pedal up to the radio. (Most are missing both segments, 1 segment, or on rare occasions ... Both along with another section between the two which is too involved to cover here)

Reference for the Mopar kit that's discontinued:
- Installing OEM backup cam
** Pay special attention to my Post #10 info as well as the OP **

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arkie

Arkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have and 8.4 RA4/VP4NA radio. @Mpgrimm2 makes custom harnesses for our trucks to add features like this and can probably help with your upgrade questions. Here is his website with various harnesses.

Thanks for identifying my radio and for the reference. I'll check it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arkie

Arkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You have to remove the intermediate/last harness segment in the tailgate and replace it with that 'Y' segment going to the lock solenoid, camera and original lower tailgate segment.

** The kicker is whether or not you have the chassis segment going from the tailgate connector behind the bumper (8 wires) to the connector behind the left front wheel well ... Or the cab segment from the connectors by the brake pedal up to the radio. (Most are missing both segments, 1 segment, or on rare occasions ... Both along with another section between the two which is too involved to cover here)

I had read through the Mopar kit (discontinued) install but I hadn't seen the other posts you provided. Thanks. I sent you a request for info on your web site.

OP
OP
Arkie

Arkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I do have a locking tailgate. Do I need to check for the harness segments you mention? Does anyone have pictures available to help identify these? Or can I provide pictures of what I see to help with this?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I do have a locking tailgate. Do I need to check for the harness segments you mention? Does anyone have pictures available to help identify these? Or can I provide pictures of what I see to help with this?
Check this post for links to the info (it's a huge thread).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357