Random grease found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mespann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello! I was changing my oil today on my 2017 1500 Ram Rebel, and noticed a ton of grease siting on top of the right front strut (I’ve cleaned most of it up trying to find where it came from). I have no idea where it came from, and do not see any grease points anywhere in the area. Any ideas????image.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mespann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a way to replace the boot without having to remove the axle nut and everything else?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They used to make the repair style boots, that were split..... but they arent as robust as the OE type.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of times people will just buy a lifetime warranty CV axle from the parts store and change the whole axle rather than do a boot replacement. Cleaning out the joint properly and installing a new boot is a PITA.

I have done it both ways depending on circumstances, but not on a RAM 1500. You’ll want some advice from members that know more than I do, ISTR some reports of difficulty engaging the axles to the front diff.

OP
OP
M

Mespann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks gents (and or ladies, etc.)
Anyone have an idea how long I have to drive on it before the front end catches fire? lol

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You have to remove the axle to replace the boot.

Many years ago I had a FWD car that had a boot split the same way yours did. I asked a trusted shop whether I should replace the boot or the whole axle and they said the whole axle...so I replaced the whole axle with a lifetime similar as Travelin RAM said. I have not had to replace one since (I've been a solid axle guy for most of my time since) but that has been my modus operandi since then.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Thanks gents (and or ladies, etc.)
Anyone have an idea how long I have to drive on it before the front end catches fire? lol
No telling. Who knows how long it's been like that, how much grease is left, or how fast the grease is flingin' out.

If it's not making noise or grinding then you are not in dire straights yet. I would not recommend testing the waters although I don't expect anything as fantastic as a fire.

It's like a ball joint. After it reaches end-of-life there's not telling when a catastrophic failure will happen...or if it will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mespann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks brother, kinda what I was thinking. Just hoped that if it wasn’t in 4WD, it would really matter, but looks like I’d better get serious about gettin after it.