RC Speedometer Calibrator or Full on Programmer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently added some beefy 325/60/20's to my Ram and was looking to buy something to update my speedometer. I think the truck will shift and run better if I do the update.

My first thought was to just drop the $139.99 on the Rough Country unit.

https://www.roughcountry.com/speedometer-calibrator-90007.html

But then I thought I might just spend some more money and buy a full on tuner/programmer that does the same thing, but also offers some performance upgrades. My truck is a 2014 so I don't believe i'll have any ECM issues. My main question is if there's really anything to gain as my only mod is a magnaflow muffler and I don't plan on doing anything else to the motor/intake/exhaust.

I also don't want to turn $140 into $400 unless it's really worth it. But if there was a decent tuner in the $300 range that would also correct my tire size, I'd be up for looking into that.

Hoping for some help from the experts!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lowest cost would be to spend $22 on a Jscan license and program your tires with that.. it's super easy. And yes, correcting the speedometer does improve shift timing if you changed tire size I noticed that right away, added bonus is the MPG gauge is a lot closer to reality.

But you would need an OBD2 dongle (you should have one anyway...) and an Android device (I don't know if there is an apple version)

cmorales30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
*******, what did you decide on? I was looking at purchasing the RC one too and has the same exact question as you.

OP
OP
P

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t yet. Leaning toward trying out the J Scan but just haven’t had the time to research it much.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about alpha obd? Id look into this as it can solve alot of other issues as well.

OP
OP
P

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll give it a look as well. From my initial research alpha sounds more powerful but less user friendly. But I will spend more time looking into that as well.

Like I said, I really just want to upgrade my tire sizes. But it seems crazy to spend $130+ bucks on something that can only do that when there are other models that can do more. I wasn’t aware of Jscan and things like that before, so I thought the only options were rough country, another tire change brand I can’t remember right now, or a full on programmer.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That may be the case for newer rams but for our 2014's its quite simple especially with all the helpful content from @big daddys house. Hes a member on here as well as a youtube superstar. Trust me youll be glad you got it and if you plan on doing other mods its almost a must have unless you got friends at the dealership or lots of money to give them.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That may be the case for newer rams but for our 2014's its quite simple especially with all the helpful content from @big daddys house. Hes a member on here as well as a youtube superstar. Trust me youll be glad you got it and if you plan on doing other mods its almost a must have unless you got friends at the dealership or lots of money to give them.
I am definitely not a superstar but I appreciate your vote of confidence! Lol
To the OP alfaOBD is only $50 and the OBD link is around $90.
And it seems like the options are endless with Alfaobd. You want to put on folding mirrors, change all your lights to LED without resistors, update your interior for heating and cooling seats and steering wheel, turn off the rev limiter, change the miles on your new 7 in eVic or maybe just turn on the factory alarm.....
Have fun modding no matter what you choose brother.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could run an edge pulsar. It’s plug and play to your pcm. Has canned tunes but you can also calibrate tire size with it. You can usually fine someone selling one for around the 300 dollar range.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I recently added some beefy 325/60/20's to my Ram and was looking to buy something to update my speedometer. I think the truck will shift and run better if I do the update.

My first thought was to just drop the $139.99 on the Rough Country unit.

https://www.roughcountry.com/speedometer-calibrator-90007.html

But then I thought I might just spend some more money and buy a full on tuner/programmer that does the same thing, but also offers some performance upgrades. My truck is a 2014 so I don't believe i'll have any ECM issues. My main question is if there's really anything to gain as my only mod is a magnaflow muffler and I don't plan on doing anything else to the motor/intake/exhaust.

I also don't want to turn $140 into $400 unless it's really worth it. But if there was a decent tuner in the $300 range that would also correct my tire size, I'd be up for looking into that.

Hoping for some help from the experts!

Hunt around,you can usually buy used unmarried Diablo tuners for a couple hundred bucks . An older Diablo T100 tuner would be fine for you're needs.It gives you the gauges and will allow you to adjust tire size,and gives you a couple canned tunes to pick from.You can find them for around the 150 buck mark .

justatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
What ever happened with your choice? Did you end up using the RC tuner?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used the RC on my lifted 2015, worked like a charm.

malquid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Alfa obd is the only way to go. You can reprogram any and all options on your truck. There are literally hundreds of things you can change. Anything the dealer can do you can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank