Rear differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
NO.
SAE Syn 75W90 API GL-5 gear oil in both front and rear differentials. Note: Ram specifically states that limited slip friction modifier additive is NOT required for limited-slip rear axles used in 2003 2500s. If you tow often you can use Syn 75w140.
Some oils come with the additive already mixed in and it will be fine using it. Some people run the additive anyways.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Instead of rando interwebs opinions, what does your owner's manual say?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Instead of rando interwebs opinions, what does your owner's manual say?
I guess you're assuming he has the 20 y.o. owners manual. But for your satisfaction here's the excerpt below.
He has a 2500 so it would be the Trac-rite.
Hope that takes the "rando interwebs opinion" out of the equation for you.
Thanks for your help.

Screenshot_20230918_123948_Chrome.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is a valid question (I have mine *shrug*). Most people learn better if they find it on their own, but hey, good job spoonfeeding.
I already had it just in case, but thanks for playing :)
You most be from the "too close to NYC" end lol.

p352.jpg

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
My neighbor has a 2003 and if it's not put in there is a chatter on turns. Dealer told her it's not needed. It is on hers. My 2004.5 does not chatter on an oil change but does act a little different. Hard to explain but on acceleration it has a slight hesitation or clunk. Also usually with a turn. Very brief but after putting the additive in it goes away. It's not expensive and a small amount works. Dealer also told me mine does not need it. It does.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
you wrote that your dealer said that additive is not needed

I think you meant to say, that the Service Writer told you that it was not needed

Service Writers do not have much mechanical experience, they are hired to be a Salesman.

They will not do any research for you & most of them will not ask a qualified mechanic

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
many owners of 2003 Dodge Rams, likely have no idea if their truck has the Trac-Loc or the Trac-Rite differentials
LOL, I don't know which one I have to be honest. I *believe* I have the Trac-Loc on my 2003 1500 4x4, but I could be wrong. The specifications for my build only show 3.55 rear axle ratio and corporate 9.25 LD rear axle.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had the TruTrac(Torsen) in my Jeep and lube with friction modifers ARE NOT RECOMMENDED. Took me forever to find lube without the modifier that wasn't the liquid gold that MOPAR sells.

Detroit Truetrac
• A quality, petroleum-mineral based, GL5 rated 80w-90 gear oil should be used
• Synthetic oils are not recommended for Truetrac applications. While some customers have found that synthetic oils work well in this application, Eaton has not confirmed under test conditions that all synthetic oils are compatible with Eaton Truetrac applications
• Friction modifiers should not be used because they will decrease performance (reduce differential bias)Eaton Posi
I guess you're assuming he has the 20 y.o. owners manual. But for your satisfaction here's the excerpt below.
He has a 2500 so it would be the Trac-rite.
Hope that takes the "rando interwebs opinion" out of the equation for you.
Thanks for your help.
Yup, finding the 20 yr old manual online was such a hard task.
Google https://www.google.com/search?q=200...gxNzc1ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hell even a post in the forum