Recirculation Door Not Installed on '03 Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhmills3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I'm in the process of replacing my leaking evaporator core on my '03 Ram 1500; the dash is out and the HVAC box is as well. Since I have it out I wanted to double check all the blend doors and actuators, but I noticed that there isn't a recirculation door installed; there is an actuator, but no door. Is it common for there to just not be one installed? I certainly haven't gone in and removed it so if someone did it was before I owned the truck (bought it in 2016).

I'm already having to replace 2 other blend doors, but now I'm wondering if I should add a recirculation door while I'm at it. But if it was working fine before, should I?

Everything had always worked fine until the evaporator core started leaking, so obviously the lack of a recirculation door wasn't a major issue before. Is there any real benefit to putting one in now?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, it broke and no one ever replaced it lol. A/C works better using the recirc door (can recirculate and not work as hard to cool the already cool inside air instead of the hot outside air), especially with the greenhouse that is a 3rd gen Ram, especially in NC (spent 3 yrs there). It's a fairly easy fix even when the dash is in place; with it out it should be a piece of cake. Just make sure you get the better aftermarket door that has a better stem so it doesn't snap again. I went with this one from Rockauto:

Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 13-37-48 Order Status & Returns.png

Edit: regardless what it says, it doesn't require the box to be cut into.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the heatertreater kit. And speaking of greenhouse, when i pulled my headliner out i put insulation on the roof. What a difference.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is a very good HVAC door company
it is not a Chrysler or Dorman door

The company is called

Continue to use the Chrysler Actuators to move the doors

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
After charging my AC unit, the fan doesn't seem to push air over as far as the vent left of the steering wheel. Is it these blend doors you are discussing or something easy like a dead mouse?