Remote Start Not Working During Colder Days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else notice their remote start not working? Truck doesn't even attempt to start (as in turn over).

This happens from both the remote as well as the uConnect app.

When I start it from the remote like 2 feet away as a test I hear it click and do something, but never tries to start. After I manually start it and it's been running it seems to start no problem. Only seems to be after it's sat for a day when it's cold.

Truck has no issues starting manually so it isn't like it's too cold to remote start.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
On my other Ram, if I clicked the remote button 2x real fast, it wouldn't start. I had to click it 2x with a slight pause between them.

OP
OP
Doxmia

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not an issue with that, like I said it happens even with the uConnect app. And I hear it go through the motions of starting, like the truck clicks and everything.. just doesn't try to turn over. After it's been running at some point that day the remote starter works fine.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Take it to the dealer. Video it first and see if you can get a good sound recording of the clicks also. That way you can show them after sitting all night what it does since you said it works fine after a manual start for the day.

OP
OP
Doxmia

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your fuel level when it does that? If less than 50 miles to go, it will not start.

Does it when it's full. It will start when it's low on fuel as well, it will just turn off right afterward. Then ti gives you a message in the console that auto start was cancelled due to fuel.

Funroadahead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Battery.
My wife's 300 was doing the same thing.
As an experiment, I put it on a charger one night and next morning remote started fine at sub-zero.
No more trouble since replacing the battery although that's on a 2015 300.
A brand new truck is probably some other issue, but it's related to low voltage at atre.pted startup.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
my 2018 charger was doing the same thing. It was not getting driven much because of the crappy weather and with it being real cold my thought was it was slowly draining the battery. Since then I have been getting it out for a good long drive on the highway once a week and haven't had the issue since. My conclusion is that a remote start requires more juice than getting in the vehicle and hitting the start button and the cold drains the battery enough to not start remotely

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I've used my remote start at -15 and it started like a champ. Never had an issue so far.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Take a look at your starter, I recently experienced something similar. I replaced mine few days ago as a result. It kept dragging as if the strt relay was hesitant. Manually took 3 attempts before it would turnover.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Erix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been having nothing but issues with my command start and passive entry system. The command start has only worked once for me in the past month and I try every day.

ChrisInMilwaukee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also support the battery theory. When my battery was reaching the end of its useful life, the truck wouldn’t remote start. I’d get one beep of the horn as a warning (instead of two) that there was something amiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Erix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said earlier, I am also having command start issues. We had a cold snap where I live pretty much all of February. It has basically been below -20 C all month and my command start basically never worked except sometimes after just using the truck it would work. The past 2 days it has warmed up about 10 degrees and the command start started working, then today colder again and it didn't work. I had never connected temperature to the issue before but an odd coincidence for sure.

Also the battery is not the issue, for me anyways as both key fobs will work or not work at the same time.

Erix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so all my command start issues were being cause by a grounding issue. It works flawlessly now. I'm still trying to get more details from the dealership to find out where exactly they found the problem but I thought I'd share this and maybe give the OP an avenue to explore.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Okay so all my command start issues were being cause by a grounding issue. It works flawlessly now. I'm still trying to get more details from the dealership to find out where exactly they found the problem but I thought I'd share this and maybe give the OP an avenue to explore.
Glad they found the issue for you @Erix

R

Rogues Gambit

I'll read the rest later, but definitely only notice it when it needs gas