Rubbing/ Squeaking noise - need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I noticed this after getting a tire replaced and all tires rotated at Pepboys... but its possible it was there for a while not sure, but When I turn my steering wheel left/right it makes a terrible like rubbing/ grinding/ squeaking noise up front. It seems to make more noise when turning left than right. I dont know anything about vehicles and have looked to see if I can see any rubbing evidence but found nothing. My power steering fluid was about gone so I filled that up hoping it would do the trick, but nope...

Also when I go over just minor bumps in the road or bigger ones like speed bumps the front end squeaks really bad. Is this probably a seperate problem?

Also if I am looking at the right thing...It looks like the rubber bushing thing behind the wheel is old/bad (I think thats part of the tie rod? )

Any help guys? What kinda things could this be? Bad tie rods, Power steering problems, front suspension probs??
Thanks y'all! :)

edited to add: I can upload some pictures of what I was talking about or take a video from my phone of the noise if that would help?

Last edited:

05ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Zakk I'm having the same problem! Its a squeak when I turn the wheel or any bump at low speeds. I know I have some bushings that are dried out but cant pin point which one is making that sound or IF that's what it is... Maybe something in the rack?? Hoping someone can help us!!

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
EXACTLY!! lol. Well glad im not alone :( Looks like we're thinking alike! I have dried and busted bushings as well. Im gonna take some pics tomorrow and upload them. Been researching and cant find anything...Will probably be taking it to firestone within the week if there's no help. Possibly, or something power steering, I have no idea...If you find anything message me or post back on here please:)

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are playing with a 10 year old truck you might want to look at all the front end parts. You probably don't need to change everything but why not do it all at once. If money allows. 1 headache 1 time no worries. Firestone in Dallas quoted me $1600 for upper, lower, inner , outer and sway bar. I know I can get my parts for $300-$350 and that includes springs. I tried to get the guy to explain why I would pay $1200 for 5 hours of work. He didn't want to explain $200 an hour. *******!!!!

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys,

I had this problem with my truck a little over a year ago. Squeaked like CRAZY whenever I'd hit small bumps or if I stood on the front bumper and bounced it a little. Turns out the boots on my lower ball joints up front had busted, time + weather will do that to them, and the joints had gone bad. Had to get the shop to replace them. I think it cost around $220 to have both done. If your upper ball joints are bad, you'll have to replace the whole control arm. Hope this helps!

zoomin0074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My front end would squeak over small bumps also and I could not figure out what the noise was, so one part at a time I took some silicone spray and soaked it. Eventually I found out that my squeak is the upper shock mount and instead of replace it I just spray it with silicone every couple weeks and shuts it up. Once I change over to my new struts the shock mount will be replaced.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks guys! :) I'll take a further look and see if I can get to the problem. Take it to firestone and have them look at it, and then possibly see if me and my dad can fix it ourselves.

I know I can get my parts for $300-$350 and that includes springs. I tried to get the guy to explain why I would pay $1200 for 5 hours of work. He didn't want to explain $200 an hour. *******!!!!

Wow that sounds like a good price, where do you get your parts!? lol
And $200 an hour is insane...

Turns out the boots on my lower ball joints up front had busted, time + weather will do that to them, and the joints had gone bad. Had to get the shop to replace them. I think it cost around $220 to have both done. If your upper ball joints are bad, you'll have to replace the whole control arm. Hope this helps!

That could be it! I just had my upper ball joints replaced back in November so I dont think that is it, but could be a problem with the lower one.

nepo313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hi all. Had a similar problem 2 years back when I bought my truck used. The left joint was squeaking badly, especially over any bumps in the road.

The boot covering the joint had a medium crack. To quickly remedy the problem, I filled a syringe with grease and filled the boot with grease, and had the intention to replace the joint later. In about a week's worth of driving the squeak went away and forgot about replacing the joint, that is until I came across this forum :) Thanks for the reminder, maybe I need to revisit the joint and see if it is still solid, but haven't experienced any problems since (knock on wood)

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Haha lucky you! :p That's most likely what mine is, looks like my boot is busted and some bushings and such are worn out...to darn cold to stay out there for long enough to thoroughly inspect it though lol. Thanks! :)

As far as the grinding noise goes while turning the wheel...Im still clueless lol

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wow that sounds like a good price, where do you get your parts!?
Rock Auto.com

Thanks man! :) Just at a quick look the interface seems confusing...I'll hope on there tomorrow and check it.