Loud squeaking noise when turning wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustiNelsi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had 4WheelParts install the ReadyLift 3.5” lift/level kit a couple years ago and this squeaking started about a year ago. Not sure if it has anything to do with the lift. Dealership said they couldn’t find where the squeaking was coming from so I just had to live with it. I think they were just being lazy. The picture is of the lift and the link is a video of the squeaking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0087.jpeg
https://youtu.be/V5lAGvRxz-I?si=a8gSNOKV9AvKvtlG

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get some pb blaster or other penetrating oil and spray one component at a time while someone else does wheel duty , ball joints ,sway mount bushings ,end links ,tie-rods, control arm bushings , and any thing else you see move with the wheel.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Steering rack dripping any fluid? Ball joints greaseable? Sound is horrible like an old rocking chair.

Suspension not cycling so don’t think that’s the problem. I would check ball joints and tie rod ends. Lift the truck and try to move the tires up down/left right with a pry bar. You have something dry that needs grease.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess would be the ball joints. Whens the last time you greased the ones in the upper control arms?

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Geez, I’d think you’d be able to feel that noise by putting your hand on moving parts.
Is that video with the tire off the ground? Just recreate that on jackstands with someone holding the parts instead of a camera.

OP
OP
A

AustiNelsi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone! Turns out the upper control arms needed more grease. The shop told me they “greased everything that could be greased” last time it was in there so I didn’t even bother trying to add grease before. Thanks again!

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone! Turns out the upper control arms needed more grease. The shop told me they “greased everything that could be greased” last time it was in there so I didn’t even bother trying to add grease before. Thanks again!
So upper ball joint I'm assuming as that's the only thing greaseable unless you pull them and grease the bushings. That's common for an aftermarket upper assembly. Clean it first and give a couple squirts. Not to much.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I had 4WheelParts install the ReadyLift 3.5” lift/level kit a couple years ago and this squeaking started about a year ago. Not sure if it has anything to do with the lift. Dealership said they couldn’t find where the squeaking was coming from so I just had to live with it. I think they were just being lazy. The picture is of the lift and the link is a video of the squeaking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 539737
https://youtu.be/V5lAGvRxz-I?si=a8gSNOKV9AvKvtlG
I ve said it multiple times on this forum. The 5th Gen trucks do not like the 3.5” height. Unfortunately it’s an uphill battle. The only try “fix” is go to a 3” or 4” kit. Since a big box store did the installation I would loosen every bolt and re torque in the meantime

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ve said it multiple times on this forum. The 5th Gen trucks do not like the 3.5” height. Unfortunately it’s an uphill battle. The only try “fix” is go to a 3” or 4” kit. Since a big box store did the installation I would loosen every bolt and re torque in the meantime
If you do that, retorque everything on the ground. Rubber bushings HAVE to be torqued in the resting position because the rubber provides the flex and rebound. Poly does not matter.