Running Boards/Side Steps - Cab Length vs. Wheel to Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
For my 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn order, the configurator appears to be giving me the option of cab length or wheel to wheel running boards/side steps. I know with the Longhorn "Level 1 Equipment Group" includes power deployable running boards. Does the power option work with both lengths? Does anyone know how the wheel to wheel option works with DRW? I'm thinking I'd like the wheel to wheel option since I'm only 5'8" and will appreciate the step to reach into the bed... but assume the door will have to be open for the step to be deployed?

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone know what brand the factory powered running boards are?
Please don't say "Mopar"; but if you do say "Mopar" then who (sub-contractor) sourced it?

My understanding is that the RamBox, the spray-on bedliner, the pwoered boards, etc are all sent out to be done, by subcontractor(s), a little bit down the road from the factory. Not the factory-proper.

The reason I ask if we can identify thw origins of the powered factory running boards is I didn't get them from the factory and now I want them. BUT... to maximize compatability and minimize the law of unintended consequences (and "Murphy"), and not have some installer do extraneous drilling of my frame, I was hoping to get "factory" powered boards as an "aftermarket" addition.

(2020 1500 Laramie Crew Cab RamBox short bed (5'7") 4x4 btw...)