?! Spare tire size?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
People who recently bought a 2019/2020 newest gen ram 1500, please confirm or deny:

Pickup trucks today no longer come with a full sized spare tire?????

Is that true?!

Please tell me trucks today (2019/2020) still have the regular sized spare tire that you lower down a cable from under the rear of the bed please....

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most come with a close to full size temp. spare, a few come with a real full size spare.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
My window sticker shows two modifications to the wheels. The sport package shows:

20–Inch x 9–Inch Premium Painted Wheels w/Inserts
275/55R20 OWL All–Season Tires

then the off-road package shows:

Full Size Spare Tire

My spare is the same tire and rim size as those mounted, but not the painted wheel. Makes me think the standard spare may not be full size.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I have the Off-Road Package (ORP) and my spare tire and wheel are the same size that's on the rest of the truck. Only difference is that it's a steel wheel.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have 18" rims/tires. I had previously looked at the spare and saw the rim is an aluminum rim so thought I had a regular tire and rim. Today, I lowered the spare to check the tire pressure and noticed the spare tire says "Temporary Use Only". Does anyone know if the rim is good enough for normal use?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
If the diameter is the same then the truck doesn't care. Is it the same dimensions? What about the brand?

If it says "temporary use only" I would think it is not for everyday use and would not test that theory personally.

I have not had a donut (temporary spare) for many moons so am not up on the latest for them. My ORP specifically said "full size spare" and I have the same tire (brand, model, and size) for the spare as are on the ground (just mounted on a basic steel or aluminum wheel). I have tried to put my spare in the rotation and it ended poorly. I had a tire separate and my shop told me that a spare should just be a spare. They explained it to me but I don't remember most of what they said. Basically something about going between rotating and just sitting (in the spare position) is not the greatest. Whether they were right or blowing smoke the only time I had a tire separation was the one time I decided to rotate all 5 tires.

Personally I'd just use the spare as the spare and get a new one when the tire gets to be over 6 years old. I burn through tires (I drive 20K+ miles a year) so when I buy a new set the best of the old ones gets to be my spare.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Unless you have a Rebel (33" tire) all the rest should end up being 32" in diameter regardless of your wheel size.

You pay for the spare in the end (purchase price) and, since it's an emergency/temporary use kind of thing, I have no problem it being a lesser expensive steel wheel. As long as I can throw it on anywhere and not worry about any issues I'm good. I'm not sure if it's an ORP thing or not but my spare tire is the exact same tire as the other four...no standard road tire or off-brand.

I wouldn't want to pay hundreds of dollars more for a matching/larger spare wheel no matter what wheels I got on the truck.

Just my .02

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Size & type of spare depends on the individual truck. I have a 4x2 1500 w/20” chrome clad rims. Tire size 275/55/20. Spare rim is an aluminum 18”x7.5” w/245/70/18 temp tire. You can put a 245/70/18 “real” tire on the spare rim. I highly recommend doing it.