Steam coming from bottom of power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Steam coming from this area(smells like coolant)

I topped off my radiator in my 05 ram hemi and took it for a ride to get it up to temp. Got home and popped the hood and with my flash light I noticed a little bit of steam coming from the area of I think the power steering pump. It smelled like coolant. I don't know how long it's been doing it I've only had the truck for 1 year now and never noticed and leaks. It's coming from the under that bottom pulley. Any ideas. Here's a pic. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420845309.315912.jpg

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It appears to be coming from the bottom side of the power steering pump. Even with the coolant being low it has never ran hot.

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just noticed there was alittle wet spot by bottom bolt on the power steering pump before and now it's dry. Is there coolant that runs through the power steering pump? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420846961.816830.jpg

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed a little bit of steam(smell like coolant) coming from under the power steering pump tonight after I topped off my radiator that was a little low. I have had my 05 ram with a hemi for about a year now and have never noticed any spots from leaks. Where the bottom bolt tightens the pump to aluminum it was wet. After about 20 min or so it was dry. Any ideas where the possible leak could be coming from? I have never owned a dodge before.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420853654.799937.jpg

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible you spilled a bit of coolant and it was just burning off once you got the engine hot?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
hemifront_zpsbc13af62.jpg"]hemifront_zpsbc13af62.jpg[/URL]

Its likely coming from either the water pump gasket, thermostat housing or radiator hose since these are all located directly above the PS pump. If it looks dry up around the thermostat then I would make sure all the water pump bolts are snug, especially the ones labeled 8 and 9 in the pic.

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the part in this pic with the 3 bolt holes with the big hole!? Dose coolant pass through that? Thanks

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did notice that everything looked dry around the t-stat housing and the one labeled 8 & 9. It was damp around the bottom bolt hole just below the big hole in your pic.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
What is the part in this pic with the 3 bolt holes with the big hole!? Dose coolant pass through that? Thanks

That is where the PS pump bolts onto the front cover. Could it be PS fluid? The clamp where the line attaches to the PS fluid cooler is known to leak and run back towards the engine via the outside of cooler line. If its coolant then I'm not sure where else it could be coming from.

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it's not PS fluid. It all evaporated in about 20 minutes what was wet. When you pull the PS pump off whats in the cavity?

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I have a slow weeper on one of the 2 bolts. Is it easy to get to the bolt to snug them up a little?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
There's nothing in the cavity, its just hollow. Can't remember if its hard to get at those bolts plus mine was all taken apart at the time. Maybe look up where the cylinder head meets the block and see if its leaking up there. Have you watched for leaks while the engine is running?

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't watch yet. I noticed last night after dark and the only reason I noticed it was I noticed was the little bit of steam through my flash light. I did look at everything above the ps pump all dry. I'm wondering if there's a tiny leak from one of those bolts. I will look when I get home from work tonight.

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Steam coming from this area(smells like coolant)

I don't think so because I was very careful and its clear on the other side, but I hope your right

squarebit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Solve this? Guess where mine's leaking from...

Tz7leCE.jpg

squarebit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changed the pump, which showed a little leakage between bolts #8 and #9 and had some play anyway.

A drip is still forming at that bolt.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to tell in the pic, are you sure that isn't coolant? Water pump could be leaking and dripping on the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squarebit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It most definitely is coolant. Brand new pump now, no leaking around it. I've found numerous threads on the Internet complaining of this, but nobody ever solves it.

Reports of people changing the timing cover gasket and it still does it.

Does that bolt go into a coolant passage?

Paul197642

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So...low and behold i noticed my engine temp was cooler than normal so decided to investigate for coolant leakage.welp i too now have a small seepage coming from between the power steering pump and timing cover where they mate up.ive looked until my eyes were literally popping out of my head for a leak.i was convinced it was the timing cover,but i just dont see where and how its possibly seeping to this spot.did anyone ever figure this out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963