Thinking about doing some major overhauling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
attempted hi jack, sorry kyle. made myself feel bad lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
I'll definitely be all ears John on that one. Like Ryan said tho I'm gonna chose a cam first, after I have the gears in of course, which I'm still open to recommendations, and then I'll look into other options. I'm just looking at 3rd strike performance and have any of you had experience with any of their cams, throttle bodies or gears?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Like they have said decide on which differential you want and with 35" tires and being QC it is dead certain that you want 4:56 gear. My recommendation is a little different than the other's as I think most if not all the support mods need to be in place before the cam selection is made. In selecting a TC you should consider whether you use your truck for towing or off road, either of these uses you will want a lower stall to manage heat buildup and driveability. If it's a street truck with occasional light towing or hauling then maybe a 2600-2800 stall. Remember heavier trucks push the flash higher. If you want a lot of stick then a higher stall is need to build torque. Decide before you get started what you want your truck to do. A torque cam in a big truck is a lot more fun than a high rpm cam in a big truck. You don't want to get this wrong becuase if you do you will have stock trucks driving around you.

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like they have said decide on which differential you want and with 35" tires and being QC it is dead certain that you want 4:56 gear. My recommendation is a little different than the other's as I think most if not all the support mods need to be in place before the cam selection is made. In selecting a TC you should consider whether you use your truck for towing or off road, either of these uses you will want a lower stall to manage heat buildup and driveability. If it's a street truck with occasional light towing or hauling then maybe a 2600-2800 stall. Remember heavier trucks push the flash higher. If you want a lot of stick then a higher stall is need to build torque. Decide before you get started what you want your truck to do. A torque cam in a big truck is a lot more fun than a high rpm cam in a big truck. You don't want to get this wrong becuase if you do you will have stock trucks driving around you.

A well tuned Sidewinder Cam, 4.56 gears and a 2,800ish RPM converter will have you driving around most other vehicles on the road.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
A well tuned Sidewinder Cam, 4.56 gears and a 2,800ish RPM converter will have you driving around most other vehicles on the road.

Add a decent intake and exhaust and I absolutely agree with you.

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Add a decent intake and exhaust and I absolutely agree with you.

I am running 9.14 @ 76.99 at 5,500 lbs on 20s with 3.55s on the stock intake setup save a K&N drop-in, stock cast-iron manifolds, stock cats, and Y-pipe with only a magnaflow straight through muffler.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a sidewinder cam then? I tried looking on the Internet but I didn't find anything really. Some forum about frank racing closing down or something. Hrmmmm......
I do most of my driving in the town, only weight that truck drags around is my sled or quad. Nothing serious. It's not a bush beater truck, altho she's seen her fair share of mud, it's not something I do often. If that helps..

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
What are your guys thoughts on the sparrow rather then the sidewinder? I'd like to get that extra grunt. And I'm not following where it says mds off... Is that a big deal? Oh this just isn't like the old chevy small blocks where a couples wires runs the whole engine :p

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you go with the Sparrow your gonna loose just alill low end and would work nicely with a converter. Be careful looking at claimed numbers and pay attention to where the power band is.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
the sidewinder is a great choice for a cam, but dont just decide on that because one person gave the suggestion. there are a ton of opinions out there. you have to do your own research and decide which cam is best for YOU, not which cam other people want you to have.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
im not gonna make any final decisions until its time to order. i just like to have a bunch of ideas floating around, brand names and such so i can do my own research on them and see if it fits my app. I am leaning towards the sidewinder or sparrow. from what i can tell over research and your guys opinions they have a pretty good name for themselves. im gonna probably sit down and order my gears kit and a cam within the next few weeks, depending on how much the government takes from my paychecks i guess lol!!
and aaron, i know this is a little off this threads topic but what kind of sub box do you have made up?? i got 3 12s in my truck in just a normal box going right across my back seat, gets in the way when you wanna 'use' the backseat ;p you have any pics you could send for some idea? that needs to be cleaned up on days off for sure lol

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
the sidewinder is a great choice for a cam, but dont just decide on that because one person gave the suggestion. there are a ton of opinions out there. you have to do your own research and decide which cam is best for YOU, not which cam other people want you to have.

Agreed,

The sidewinder is a good cam, but there are better ones out there. It all depends on how you are going to tune it. If you want to keep your superchips and not stack it then the sidewinder is a good choice because it "SHOULD" run on the superchips tune (unless you ask silverbullet whos sidewinder did NOT run on the canned tune). If you want to stack the superchips tuner with an sct or move to a dsp then the cam options open up quite a bit.

For the converter though, If you dont tow anything big, you need to base it on the cam you choose or you will not like the results and be kicking yourself in the end. Mods need to compliment each other, if they dont or they fall short, its not going to be an enjoyable ride (or as enjoyable of a ride as it should be). This is where planning everything out comes into play. Look at other peoples setups, see what they run, see what they needed to get it to run like that and then plan accordingly.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Cams to look at for a heavy truck that have proven results

Sidewinder
Comp 260
Crazy Jay
Crazy Spartan
210x
Spartan

There are more but those are the ones I can remeber off the top of my head that are good with heavier quadcabs. Do as much research as you can on them, peopels likes and dislikes, where there powerband is at, results guys are getting from them, what supporting mods are needed with them, how they are tuned, etc etc...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^Good point, your list is all trq except the Spartan, thats more upper but a good starting point.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I don't know about that, I know a couple guys with the spartan running 13s in qcs na. I think its more low to mid, the spartan max is themoremid to top end cam

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca