Thinking about doing some major overhauling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Your cam doesnt sound that lopey AF. Thought with the 110 LSA it be a lot more rough sounding than mine on a 113 LSA

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
Awesome guys! That's what I'm talking about! Two completely different truck builds(I mean that as ones jacked up and ones lower) and they sound awesome.
I don't have as big of a lift in mine, and I got 33x13.50-18s. I was reading in another forum about the gear swap and eeryones just yellin and freaking out at each other, hard to get a grasp on what's facts and what's just ppls opinions haha. I've also been reading forums on a supercharger app for my truck and all I can say is wow. It's gonna be very costly and time consuming to get it set up right and tuned in. I guess Im kinda caught ip in the supercharger hype. Do you really think it's practical for m truck? Cash isn't much of a problem if I save a few paychecks but the old girl has 150xxxKMS on her now. I plan on keeping it for a while yet. I'm just really confused now aha. Before my brother supercharged his truck, the only other thing I had done to my truck was the cortex and I would always take him off the line but he would eventually beat me(maybe due to two different drivers or different tires for traction). Maybe I'll just start with the gears as soon as I get them, and maybe I'll just stick with a rockin cam, porter/polished heads, tb, and maybe a few other things you guys can recommend.
This is awesome feedback tho guys I'm loving it. It's making me really sit down and think about this! I can't wait to get started!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I have seen a few 4x4 lifted guys go with a procharger setup and like it. It is a little less but provieds a good amount of power. Gears would be first on the list though, you need them bad

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
yeah theres not a ton of lope on mine. i had to sacrifice some lope with the tuning. there is a really specific rpm that it lopes HARD. the trouble is keeping that rpm. it lopes a lot more when its a cold engine.

i had to sacrifice some lope to get it to run good. since the OP has an 04, he'd get a lot more of the lope. then again i'd probably suggest the 210x with 108lsa if he was goin balls out with a torquey cam like this.

One key difference from this forum vs a lot of others is the lack of drama. We all get along over here and respect each others rides for what they are. Ego's dont get in the way. If there are things said over there that you arent sure about, feel free to post up here and get some clarification.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I'm looking for a kit now! Any preference with Detroit or auburn?
How much of a difference is this gonna make when I lay the pedal to the floor off the line?

Either is good, the auburn is a little cheaper though. As for the butt dyno with the gears, well lets just say you'll be grinning ear to ear when you are finallly able to lay into it :D

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
basic difference:

Auburn - uses clutches. $100 cheaper, supposedly locks up a fraction faster
DTT - no clutches, $100 more, still locks up crazy quick every time.

Auburn may have clutches but I dont know of anyone who knows anyone who has ever worn them out. Chances are if you've locked it up that many times you're beatin on your ride pretty hard and the LSD will be one of the last remaining things.

To me it came down to, the Auburn seems just as good and $100 less. I couldnt be happier. The clutch packs scare a lot of people over to the DTT side. They're happy too

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
Speaking of "when I'm able to lay into it" looks like that will be a while yet as there's about 4 inches of fresh snow on the roads here everyday :( oh well the sleds getting it's use! Haha.
I'm gonna go ahead with the gears, is it a complicated install? Or would ya recommend it professionally done?
My next step is a cam. I think I'm gonna drop the boost idea. Probably getting a little in over my head on that one, still charging the Camaro tho ;)

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DEF let the pros do it. not just any shop either. Rear ends are extremely precise with the tolerances. If its not done perfect, you'll destroy the rear end quick and you'll be back to square one. It requires a lot of precise knowledge and special tools.

check with 3rdstrikeperformance. they're a vendor on here and have some of the best prices i've seen. discounts also.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Dont worry about stomping on it right away, you have to go through a break in period of about 500 miles with hot and cold cycles to get it to run right. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing with them though, gears and transmissions are the only two things I wont do on my own or with help.

Do the gears, then work on supporting mods for the cam and get a tuner to run the cam and go from there. You can have aa fast ass truck without boost.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this may not be a bad time to do the gears. they require a special break in. 3 10 minute runs with a complete cool down in between and then 500km of granny driving NO towing. by then the snow should be cleared and you'll be literally shredding BOTH tires off the line. traction is always a complaint after 4.56 gears. i was able to burn my 35's from a stop (no brake) even before the cam and stuff

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
Haha sweet! Hopefully just in time for spring she wil be broken in! I appreciate all the help guys!
With those pacesetters you have Aaron was there much mods needed to be done to the exhaust or was it just a few cuts to make them fit? I may get rid of my whole cat back and get a custom exhaust made up at one of the local shops, I always wanted dual tips exiting in front of the rears.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Only mod you need with the headers really is a 180 t stat so you don't run to lean. Mine needed it

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
Ok I'll keep that in mind! Well I guess I'm set! If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask! I'll take it one step at a time for now. I'll post my progress as I go. Probably be a few weeks till I start ordering parts. Again, thanks guys! This forum rocks!!!
Go dodge!!!!

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
fitment was easy. no real issues. you've got to cut a useless little 1 square inch tab off the bell housing, but it cuts off REAL easy and it doesnt hurt anything by being gone. I did a writeup for it. when it comes time to do it i'll send ya the link

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Take your time with the install too. Mine had some fitment issues while others were fine and others had other fitment issues that mine did not have. Besure to check all lines and be sure to go over all conections on and off the ground to make sure nothing is to tight of a fit or doesn't fit. Any questions just ask away, one of us has probably ran into the issues you come acrossat one point or another

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, i just replied with a novel of info, and my browser crashed. ****** government computers... anyways, tons of good info already given. these guys here will lead you in the right direction. main thing i can tell you is plan, plan, plan. dont throw time and money out the window by just throwing random parts at your truck. come up with a plan, and stick to it.

another mod to look into is a nice aftermarket torque converter. there are a few of us on here that can give you plenty of info on those as well if you are interested.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Figure out which cam you want to go with first then look into the converter to best compliment the cam