Tonneau Cover Confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi. Yes I am new. Trying to find a Tonneau cover for my son’s 2015 1500 6 4 bed.

He wants a slatted roll up. Had a Bak Flip fold up on his old truck that was a big turn off.

Message to Nick at Got Exhaust. He provided some nice quotes.

Watched many videos and as I said to Nick, Bak CS has bad comments.

So far Retrax seems to be the a better expensive gamble. A few negatives but nothing that matters to us.

We want not a perfect but a solid “one and done buy.” Especially for high end prices.

Any Retrax owners willing to comment? one way or another.
Any tonneau cover recs.?

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the TruckGear (Line-X) Eclipse cover. I hate with a passion the multipiece folders as much as the soft ones with the bows. It has the look of a soft cover but with the aluminum slats, it has held up to 30" of wet snow from last year. The only thing is that, in my case, some ******* put something on top and scooted it off and it left a trail. There is a brand that I can't think of that looks like the true manufacture of it. But with Line-X you get a "Limited End-to-End LIFETIME warranty".

OP
OP
shrubs

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. I’m finding that the high end slatted covers are within a few hundred dollars of each other. My son has saved up some $$.

We looked at Retrax at a dealer and my son was liking the roll into the bed with a drain and a box around the roll.

He understands losing a small amount of bed space.

So we are debating ship to house or have cover installed locally.
We got a dose of manufacturers shipping wrong sizes with missing or inadequate parts. No probs. with Retrax.

Any info?

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Satisfied RetraxOne MX Retractable Tonneau Cover customer. Sturdy, easy install by myself, rolls smoothly, and sits low on the bed. I chose the version with the stake pocket cut-outs in case I ever need to use them, and had it shipped to the store I purchased it from to save on shipping costs.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a used 2019 classic in October that happened to come with the Retrax tonneau. I noted that American Truck accessories sells them for $1200, so I thought it was neat. Well, he!!

DONT BUY IT. It has drain tubes but leaks into the bed anyway. It rattles like crazy on even small bumps. Then, just try to roll it up on a cold day or with snow or ice on it. I’ve had to spray the tracks with WD40 several times just so it slides reasonably easy.

Bottom line, I’m glad I got it free with the truck because I’d be really pissed if I paid for the dumb thing.

Come spring I’ll try to sell it any install a Truxedo like I’ve had before….they work and don’t cause all of these stupid issues.

I will say it is great for setting a couple of cups of coffee on it while I’ll open the door. Ha
1643899510373.jpeg

OP
OP
shrubs

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the posts. More is good.

We got some input that BAK has more than hit or miss CS. We’re hearing mostly miss. The covers themselves seem fine.

As a long time tinkerer, I suspect poor installation is a culprit of many negatives on any product. Couple that with sketchy support and things go sidewise fast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca