what should I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMidnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9l v6 magnum
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 regular cab, short bed, with the 3.9l V6 magnum engine. Now that I have given you some information, I'm gonna ask for you guys to share some of the expert knowledge you possess. I'm going to list a few plans I have for the truck and questions concerning said plans.<br />
1. I want to replace my dash first and foremost. but after I replace it will it just crack again? Are there alternatives to the original dashes( as I expect it will just crack again)? And if not what can I do to prevent cracking?<br />
2. Now performance. There aren't many aftermarket upgrades for the 3.9l v6. So should I swap it for a 5.2 or a 5.9 from the same year model? Will it bolt directly? Will it even fit? Will I need to swap the drive shaft?<br />
The exauhst will either be a thrush or simple straight pipe.<br />
3. Lifts. can you give me some quality manufacturers and advice about tire size?<br />
24b7ed50e82736b18d0b5bbff10a5371.jpg
<br />
<br />
Thank a veteran every chance you get.<br/>

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I believe that the LMC dashes last longer than the factory ones.

5.2 or 5.9 swap can be done, get the motor, tranny, pcm, wiring harness from the engine bay of the donor truck.

2wd lifts are limited, what you see on the web is what you get to pick from. Post up some links to the kits you are looking at. How much lift are you looking for? This will decide what size tires you can run and what rims you will need.

Lots of work and cash, why not find a V8 truck maybe 4wd if you wanted it.

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like alot of work with alot of variables for things to go wrong. Find a 4x4 for sale for cheap and work on that!

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
get a dash pad cover from LMC truck. hard plastic one that fits right over the original. i have one and it it the best! over $100 tho :/

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
I believe that the LMC dashes last longer than the factory ones.

5.2 or 5.9 swap can be done, get the motor, tranny, pcm, wiring harness from the engine bay of the donor truck.

2wd lifts are limited, what you see on the web is what you get to pick from. Post up some links to the kits you are looking at. How much lift are you looking for? This will decide what size tires you can run and what rims you will need.

Lots of work and cash, why not find a V8 truck maybe 4wd if you wanted it.

Yeah, work and cash.

There are some basic things you can do aside from exhaust, but not a whole lot. CAI, programmer, TB mod (someone verify this???), I think Hughes even made an aftermarket intake for the v6 but I could be wrong.

Dont straight pipe it. Get a high flow system. Straight piping is for diesels.