04 Hemi Auto Jumps to Neutral, Revs to 4k On Hard Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doyle Hargraves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Howdy, Yall.
Long-time lurker with a strange issue I had no luck finding answers.
2nd owner, 04 SBRC 5.7Hemi 4x4 Auto. 120k, trans service 10k ago.
Has intermittent issue of what appears to be either going into Neutral, or the convertor unlocking when under heavy acceleration.
I noticed it will go to 4000rpm but the truck stops accelerating, until going back to part throttle. This will bring the rpm down, and appears to get back into gear.
No cel's at all, truck runs great otherwise.
Doesnt seem to be temp or weather related.
Appreciate any direction or help.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you check your trans fluid level? or scan for trans codes.

OP
OP
Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey there. Yes, trans fluid checked hot/neutral.
No, I did not scan. Do trans codes not set a cel?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Cracks me up that everyone still calls it a check engine light since the MIL (Malfunction) lights up for more than just the engine lol. Normally (normally), a trans fault would trigger a light with at least two codes, p0700 (general trans fault) and p07XX (whatever specific fault(s) were detected). Regardless, getting it scanned just in case is a good idea. If this kind of symptom is accompanied with p0734 & p0735, the OD clutches are shot. If those codes aren't present, it may be something relatively simple. One simple thing you can try is putting it in Drive and turn OD off, see if the problem is still there. The original trans (OD clutches) in my 2003 went at about 105k miles but I was able to drive it around as a 3sp as long as I turned OD off before I went.

OP
OP
Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was able to scan this afternoon, no codes.
Unable to try hard acceleration with OD off, was pouring rain here all day.
The way it goes out of gear, and back in with pedal-lifting doesnt seem like slipping clutches. Its also a steady 4000rpm when it happens.