2001 ram 1500 5.2l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghoulex345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
I need some help I’ve got a check engine light code for evap leak and I don’t know where to start to look

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Specific code would help - and EVAP leaks can be caused by something as simple as your gas cap not being tightened enough, or cross-threaded. Old gas caps can have the seal degrade. If you put a non-OEM cap on, and it's not a good match - that could cause this.

A quick search for "Evaporator Leak" turned this up.
  • Your gas cap is either loose or incorrectly attached
  • Your gas cap does not meet vehicle manufacturer standards
  • You have a tiny leak, crack or hole in a fuel vapor hose or tube
  • You have a different type of leak somewhere in the EVAP system
  • You have a faulty vent or purge valve
  • You have a bad vent seal
  • You have an unreliable leak detection pump in the EVAP system
Without more info - it's hard to diagnose or tell you where to start - but I'd start with the gas cap.

Note: It will take two or three days of driving (or about 50-60 miles) to clear the code if it was the gas cap!

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the gas cap is not the culprit (it never was the source of the evap leak on my 2001), get your system smoke tested. The Meineke in Greensboro did mine and found the leak in the hoses between the evap canisters that the dealership from almost day one of it being brand new couldn't/wouldn't find.