2019 RAM 1500: more scoop...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Back in late 2006 I fell in love with the 2007 4 door jk, so I traded in my 2004 ram for one and I was one of the first ones in my area with the jk

I have to admit reading all these comments on the 2019 rams is an exact copy and paste from the jeep crowd from 2006.

I have to admit, it was pretty damn cool driving down the road and getting the looks and neck whips of people checking out my wrangler as it was new on the streets/trails. Espicially when I got it lifted and added tires to it.

Lessons learned. I’ll never buy a first year production vehicle ever again. I had a few issues and recalls and sure enough jeep changed a few things in the next few years. Especially the engine.

I just find it ironic how the jk wrangler and now the ram comments are so similar.

Personally for me, those 2019 rams are pretty damn cool especially with that large infotainment center, but I’m committed to keeping my 2017 ram and I plan to drive it till I hit over 100k plus miles.

I’m looking forward to seeing some modded rams and unfortunately also looking towards the recalls and changes in the upcoming years.

Final words.....’MURICA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth I pre-ordered my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk in 2014 and had zero problems with it.

I think the Internet can make a problem look much worse than it is, when the <5% of people with the issue are flocking to forums to figure out what's wrong and to warn people not to buy what they bought. But there is truth to what you say--it's just not enough to stop me from getting a first-year model. We shall see!

I'm getting the 2" lift done as soon as my '19 is delivered, I'll post pictures as soon as I can. But ship date was supposed to be 4/13 and still no word. Bleh!

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I agree. Personally the looks of the 2019s is growing on me already - at least when viewed by itself. Next to a 4th gen, I'd still choose the 4th gen, but I no longer *hate* the 2019s.

Feature wise, 2019s win of course, as they should. I wouldn't be super afraid to buy a 2019 but I'm very happy to have bought a 2018 proven model this year.

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't driven one yet, but I did have a chance to look at a Big Horn up close and climb in it. For a truck that is supposedly bigger, it seemed smaller and lower than my 2015 Big Horn. As a bigger guy I can say the seating seems a little more narrow than what I'm used to. Interiors are amazing though. Definitely glad I got a 4th Gen with the lifetime warranty.

CBTBOB

U.S. Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have bought a first year truck before and there were common problems and recalls for a number of issues on all of those trucks. So with my own first year experience I stay away from them. I do have an 18 Southfork Edition 1500 CC 4x4 and I'm very satisfied with it.

I don't hate the 19's but I'm intrigued about the E-Torque when it's available and the new sunroof. The rest of the truck not so much and it looks not that different than my 18.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The styling isn’t anything new. They look just like the Toyota Tundra ....

Exactly.
A large part of the reason people buy Dodge/Ram products is ... *gasp*!... Dodge/Ram designs!
If I wanted to buy a Toyota Tundra, then I'd buy a Toyota Tundra.
Drives me crazy when designers do this kind of thing.

That little rant aside...
The new design may grow on me after a while, but it sure doesn't have the instant "wow factor" that the current design did when it came out.
The Sport model looks okay (sorry to hear it's not available for you folks in the U.S.). Don't like the other models at all.
That said, I haven't seen any in person. Just lots of pictures.

I wanted to upgrade this year, so I'll be having a closer look in the next month or two.
Chances are, I'll be going with a 2018 though. Should give them some time to tweak the new style before I'm ready to buy new again.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm all for American built stuff too, but the Rams are put together in Canada and Mexico. Toyota has majority of the parts shipped in, and then assembled here. At least the Toyota plants pay taxes and give Americans jobs, not Canadians and Mexicans.

What a ridiculous comment. The auto industry has long established facilities on both sides of the Canada-US border.
Bit of a two way street.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly.
A large part of the reason people buy Dodge/Ram products is ... *gasp*!... Dodge/Ram designs!
If I wanted to buy a Toyota Tundra, then I'd buy a Toyota Tundra.
Drives me crazy when designers do this kind of thing.

That little rant aside...
The new design may grow on me after a while, but it sure doesn't have the instant "wow factor" that the current design did when it came out.
The Sport model looks okay (sorry to hear it's not available for you folks in the U.S.). Don't like the other models at all.
That said, I haven't seen any in person. Just lots of pictures.

I wanted to upgrade this year, so I'll be having a closer look in the next month or two.
Chances are, I'll be going with a 2018 though. Should give them some time to tweak the new style before I'm ready to buy new again.
You’ll probably get huge discounts on 2018s as I am now seeing 2019s on the road. Don’t get me wrong, I love the new design. I especially love the new Rebel, as the previous one in my opinion was hideous. If I were to ever upgrade, I would only consider the Rebel. I think they really nailed the design this time.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What a ridiculous comment. The auto industry has long established facilities on both sides of the Canada-US border.
Bit of a two way street.

I'm looking at jobs and taxes that benefit the US. Canada is going down the drain with their liberal agenda, just like California.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I dont like how RAM has followed suit of the "modern sports" look into trucks which to me just looks like some tron futuristic stuff. I realize its what majority of consumers want now days so they have to follow the trends to compete in sales, Just wish trucks looked more like, trucks. IMHO out of the big 3 new 1500's/150's the new RAM is the least truck looking, and i can not believe they ditched the crosshairs

This ^^^
One thing I always thought about the ram when I went from GM
They still looked like trucks
I am glad I got my 17 tradesman
I think they went to a classy look instead of a tough look
Of course I might think different when I see one in person
I always liked their sport tough look
Now just a very nice car with a bed
Like all the others

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I've had 8 Dodges / Rams since the 90's. I currently own a 2016 Ford F150 King Ranch. The new Ram has me interested in the brand again. The styling, the E-torque hemi, interior and latest safety features. I'm fixing to order one in the next month or so.

PaulNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't buy a truck merely for it's exterior appearance. Like my father always said, "when was the last time you were at a stop light, and someone came over to make your next payment because you look so good in it"? I agree that appearance is a consideration and more important to some than others, but what's more important to me is how the trucks rides, the interior amenities since I "live" in the vehicle and not outside of it, and towing/payload numbers, etc. Looks is obviously subjective, but I personally think the '19 looks amazing. Yes, it's more smoothed out and not as aggressive looking at the older generations, but all vehicles including trucks are moving toward the more futuristic/refined look. Granted, I still think the Ram looks "tough" and has an imposing appearance but once I sat inside the truck and drove it, I realized that the exterior could have looked like dog excrement and I would have still bought my new '19 Limited :D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Disclaimer: I have not seen a 2019 Ram "in person" yet, only pictures. Having owned 3rd-gen and 4th-gen Rams for the past 16 years straight, I am still adjusting to the new front end on the 5th gen. The other day I'm driving down the road and I thought I saw my first 2019 Ram heading toward me on the other side of the highway. I was super excited to finally see a new Ram "in the wild." Once it got a lot closer, I realized it wasn't a new Ram after all..............it was actually a Chevy. OOPS! Maybe it was the headlights that fooled me. :(

Last edited:

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disclaimer: I have not seen a 2019 Ram "in person" yet, only pictures. Having owned 3rd-gen and 4th-gen Rams for the past 16 years straight, I am still adjusting to the new front end on the 5th gen. The other day I'm driving down the road and I thought I saw my first 2019 Ram heading toward me on the other side of the highway. I was super excited to finally see a new Ram "in the wild." Once it got a lot closer, I realized it wasn't a new Ram after all..............it was actually a Chevy. OOPS! Maybe it was the headlights that fooled me. :(

That is the problem with this truck. It looks like everything but a Ram. Even to guys like us who are into these trucks, it is hard to instantly identify them at a glance.
From '94 to '18 you could tell a Ram coming at you because of the distinctive styling. No name badges were needed on the front.
The salesman who sold me my last 3 trucks and cars told me a few weeks ago he was walking through the showroom and glanced outside. He thought someone parked a new Ram in an odd way outside the showroom. He looked closer and it was a Silverado. If someone who sees these trucks daily has trouble telling what they are, how is the normal public supposed to distinguish them. The Ram has totally lost its unique identity. They should have put the same effort on the exterior that they spent inside. At least we wouldn't have the Chevundra we wound up with.

Levi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I consider myself a curmudgeon. I don't buy anything with a credit card on the computer, I don't buy gas with a credit card, I go to the bank and get cash to pay for things. I pay for groceries with a check if I don't have the cash. I'm an analog man in a digital world.

Why am I going on about this? Its because when I saw the 2019 Ram on youtube I thought I'm going to start saving for 8 or 10 months to buy one. A Lone Star edition. Just a good truck to get me down the road.

I went to the dealer just to look at the colors. Then I saw a Delmonico Red Longhorn with the black and saddle brown two tone interior in the showroom. HOLY CRAP. It just grabbed me. The gold trim accents, the new wheels, the new grill, the led headlights, the sleek hood, the larger interior. The outside looks great but the inside is where I'll be. WOW.

The ride is unbelievable. Cush, Quiet, its a luxury car with a truck bed. My brother has a 2018 Lariat and the Longhorn ride blows it away. I looked at what Chevy and GMC and Ford have on deck to come out later this year but to me the 2019 Longhorn was the one.

It being the last day of the month the dealer was ready to work with me so I bought it that day. The only thing that dampened the joy temporally was a freeze in the SXM screen but the next day it worked fine. We'll see what happens there but the sales rep is number one in the region and has been beside me all the way and has the clout to get things done.

I'm not one to impulse buy, I'm the nerd who waits till all the dust settles but I'm totally satisfied with this purchase. I just take it for a drive just to drive it. Everything of course is subjective so my suggestion is go and test drive one. Look at the features and see what satisfies you and go that route.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That is the problem with this truck. It looks like everything but a Ram. Even to guys like us who are into these trucks, it is hard to instantly identify them at a glance.
From '94 to '18 you could tell a Ram coming at you because of the distinctive styling. No name badges were needed on the front.
The salesman who sold me my last 3 trucks and cars told me a few weeks ago he was walking through the showroom and glanced outside. He thought someone parked a new Ram in an odd way outside the showroom. He looked closer and it was a Silverado. If someone who sees these trucks daily has trouble telling what they are, how is the normal public supposed to distinguish them. The Ram has totally lost its unique identity. They should have put the same effort on the exterior that they spent inside. At least we wouldn't have the Chevundra we wound up with.

Well, a Jeep service advisor with like 40 years experience glanced at my fiancé’s car and said “oh you have a new Grand Cherokee” and she has the Compass. When I was a tech, old timers would confuse the Chargers with the Galants. It happens. I disagree that it has lost its identity. I actually think it’s grown and evolved in it. The crosshairs were gone already on many of the trucks, we’ve seen FCA transitioning into new brands. Personally, I think they’ve hit the perfect mark with this truck and my family has been driving MOPARs since the 70s, with my dad having RAMs my entire life and me driving 4 Chargers between the age of 17 and 30. I think at 30, I fit that in between crowd that blends the older generation with these new knuckleheads, and in my opinion the truck appeals to both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I consider myself a curmudgeon. I don't buy anything with a credit card on the computer, I don't buy gas with a credit card, I go to the bank and get cash to pay for things. I pay for groceries with a check if I don't have the cash. I'm an analog man in a digital world.

Why am I going on about this? Its because when I saw the 2019 Ram on youtube I thought I'm going to start saving for 8 or 10 months to buy one. A Lone Star edition. Just a good truck to get me down the road.

I went to the dealer just to look at the colors. Then I saw a Delmonico Red Longhorn with the black and saddle brown two tone interior in the showroom. HOLY CRAP. It just grabbed me. The gold trim accents, the new wheels, the new grill, the led headlights, the sleek hood, the larger interior. The outside looks great but the inside is where I'll be. WOW.

The ride is unbelievable. Cush, Quiet, its a luxury car with a truck bed. My brother has a 2018 Lariat and the Longhorn ride blows it away. I looked at what Chevy and GMC and Ford have on deck to come out later this year but to me the 2019 Longhorn was the one.

It being the last day of the month the dealer was ready to work with me so I bought it that day. The only thing that dampened the joy temporally was a freeze in the SXM screen but the next day it worked fine. We'll see what happens there but the sales rep is number one in the region and has been beside me all the way and has the clout to get things done.

I'm not one to impulse buy, I'm the nerd who waits till all the dust settles but I'm totally satisfied with this purchase. I just take it for a drive just to drive it. Everything of course is subjective so my suggestion is go and test drive one. Look at the features and see what satisfies you and go that route.

so your saying you paid cash for your new truck?

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You might be surprised that a lot of us "oldtimers" don't finance our vehicles.
Obviously it doesn't work for a lot of people, but I but I buy outright as well. Paying interest on a horribly depreciating asset is financially awful. If you can get ahead of the vehicle financing trap, you can save money while you have a new vehicle to buy the next one.