HEATING ISSUE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xlaw57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Passenger side has heat drive side does not . Flushed heater core and new thermostat. What could my issue be ????

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Passenger side has heat drive side does not . Flushed heater core and new thermostat. What could my issue be ????
Is there air from the vents on the driver's side, or are you just getting nothing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the truck doesn't have the dual climate control and flushing the heater core didn't work you'll need to replace the heater core. Some people have had luck back flushing the heater core along with using CLR.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the truck doesn't have the dual climate control and flushing the heater core didn't work you'll need to replace the heater core. Some people have had luck back flushing the heater core along with using CLR.
He is getting hot on one side and not hot on the other. A heater core issue would affect both sides of the vent system. This seems to be more of an actuator motor problem.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
He is getting hot on one side and not hot on the other. A heater core issue would affect both sides of the vent system. This seems to be more of an actuator motor problem.
This is quite the well documented problem on the forum where the heat is lacking on the driver's side from a plugged heater core. Many posts with this exact problem and it's the heater core.
If you have dual zone there is 2 heater cores. Did you flush the right one?
Even the dual zone trucks only have one heater core but two blend doors.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is quite the well documented problem on the forum where the heat is lacking on the driver's side from a plugged heater core. Many posts with this exact problem and it's the heater core.

Even the dual zone trucks only have one heater core but two blend doors.
How would a plugged single heater core affect only one side of the vent system?

OP
OP
X

Xlaw57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not dual zoned. I did replace the actuator closest to the blower. Is there another on ?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
How would a plugged single heater core affect only one side of the vent system?

The plenum is split down the middle with a baffle, the bottom 1/2 of the core goes to the driver's side, the upper half to the pass side. The bottom starts to clog first, hence low heat to one side only.

bigdodge

Reaction score
The plenum is split down the middle with a baffle, the bottom 1/2 of the core goes to the driver's side, the upper half to the pass side. The bottom starts to clog first, hence low heat to one side only.
This is exactly how it works. Flush my heater core every fall now.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on, definitely the heater core. I'd try to backflush it one more time just on the off chance you can save yourself a heater core job. Fill it up with distilled water, blow the water through with an air compressor (don't go crazy with the pressure), fill it with CLR and let it sit 30 mins, flush it again. If that doesn't work motor city mechanic has a great series on replacing it on youtube, titled something about AC evaporator replacement (heater core and evaporator are right next to each other in the HVAC box).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In your HVAC Controls
does the left most control knob, does it read PUSH on the knob?
If it does, maybe it can be reset.

Most HVAC systems have 4 doors & 4 actuators

The one behind the top glove compartment controls either Fresh Air or Recirculated Air

The next one is found by removing the Lower Glove box, just to the left of the Fan motor, that is the BLEND Door & Actuator

The 3rd & 4th doors are called Mode Doors, to get to them, the Center Stack, also called the Dash Bezel has to be removed

1702624590804.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This video shows a HVAC Unit that has 5 doors & actuators

from what the guy says in the video, the dealership did not properly use the test equipment & changed the wrong actuator.
now another shop is working on it, by removing the Whole HVAC Unit

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can check your own HVAC system, using a ALFA OBD unit

Blend door actuator & what to look for

short vid on heater core service

this video may be for the Gen 3 Dodge Ram, but rebuilding the Gen 4 HVAC Unit is almost identical
South Main Garage in upstate N.Y.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine did not work the first time I flushed it. If you feel like you have nothing left to lose and a replacement heater core is the likely answer you can try using CLR to back flush. That's what I did and my heat came back immediately. I would only suggest this if you're willing to replace the core anyhow. I've read that some aluminum cores have been damaged from using CLR, but if given the options of risking the $2,500 shop bill to replace it versus $18 to flush it I figured it was worth a shot. Worst case scenario I have to replace the core anyhow. That gamble paid off for me.

I added in 3 28oz bottles of CLR and let it sit in the core for 3 minutes. Then I backflushed the core through the outlet hose for 30 minutes straight with fresh water. Flushed through the inlet for 5 minutes and back through the outlet for 5 more minutes to make absolutely sure to get all of the CLR out of the core. Aluminum and CLR don't like each other.

I burped the cooling system at the banjo fitting on top of the motor (crack it open with the engine running and wait until there's a solid stream of coolant coming out) and then topped off my coolant with the Mopar purple 50/50 mix. I now get around 160-170+ degrees out of each vent.

Surge One

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had the same problem 2015 Ram 2500. I replaced the vent actuator door motor by testing it this way: removed actuator, manually moved the door to hot position and carefully jammed a piece of wood under it to hold it in the hot position (UP) (DOWN is cold), ran the truck, air got hot as ever and blowing air through all vents. Checked the motor for operation, failed, replaced the actuator motor, tested it, it worked, reinstalled it, not working again, removed it. I looked very closely at the new motor it has a mark on it where the door plastic piece has to match up with. Aligned motor and door perfectly. Still didn't work. Looked closer, the motor has exact holes/pins to match up with, that are very, very hard to see and if not lined up perfectly the motor will NOT function as it can be jammed. It is now blowing hot and cold air as needed through all vents. I also replaced the HVAC blower motor (noisy) and resistor. It just happened to be one of those things that seems quick and easy, but it wasn't. PITA!!

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blend door actuator or the blend door itself may have broke where actuator connects to the door.

bigdog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my 2010 it was the blend door was broken one side breaks so you only get heat on one side

Attachments

• 91qKp7YT8pL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    91qKp7YT8pL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 2