Need wiring diagram 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Display/Navigation System Dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gassermon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anybody have their display/navigation system suddenly stop working?

My navigation system is suddenly dead, as well as some lights on the center console dashboard right below the navigation system.
I found the "secret" 20 amp fuse on the right side upper firewall. It was popped and replacements popped with the ignition off(?)
This is got me thinking why would the 20amp fuse pop when the truck is turned off. The navigation system must be receiving power when the ignition is off (I think the 20 amp fuse is the correct one for the navigation system), and I wonder if this is for the accident system that notifies a dispatcher if the truck is in a crash. I also wonder why Ram builders would place a fuse outside the fuse box when owners go looking for blown fuses as their first thing to look for when investigating electrical problems.
My truck was also killing batteries because the dash lights stayed on after locking it. They just never went off. That was a recall.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram they can post?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This is got me thinking why would the 20amp fuse pop when the truck is turned off.
That the main power for the radio, it stays hot all the time. The radio itself turns on/off from communication signals from the CANbus.
Unplug the radio and see if that clear the short that's blowing the fuse

OP
OP
G

Gassermon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you
I am not as knowledgeable as you are so not clear where to unplug the radio. But will try to figure out how to unplug it searching behind the radio in the passenger side with a mirror.

OP
OP
G

Gassermon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

I love the internet that Al Gore invented and gifted to us. I also like the fact RAM made the 2022 easy to remove. Now I will see if the same thing applies to my 2016.
I enjoy doing things myself and fixing them myself.

Thank you crash68 for offering your help.

OP
OP
G

Gassermon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok, that wasn’t too hard. Slightly different than 2022, but no breakages. Disconnected the radio and new fuse did not blow this time.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
G

Gassermon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So now I am disconnecting my battery grounds to reset my Can-Bus. I think that is correct.

OP
OP
G

Gassermon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Reconnected radio and fuse popped.
Other switches below did not pop the fuse.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use to do this stuff many years ago, but have never been inside one of these radios, do not much help, other then take the covers off and look for black resistors, this new stuff is totally difference, mainly IC that you can't tell without info.
If your fuse don't blow with radio unplugged, sound like the wire harness is OK, but a good idea to wiggle , shake it to be sure and have a real good look at the plugs to make sure pins are good, and no corrosion, should not be a problem inside the dash.

I have read here about fellows changing , upgrading radios and seem to pick them up on ebay.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I presume with the Radio turned off it still pops the fuse? or does it go when you turn it on?20amp is a lot of fuse for a radio.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^agreed..
20amp seems like alot but have no clue on this newer stuff .