Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This oil filter wouldn't be as bad if the pleats were even, and there wasn't a hole at the end of the pleat at the top where it is sticking back past the material it's glued to.Ram Filter 2.jpg

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new FE11669 Endurance filter has an all synthetic material instead of a blend like mine, but, according to the box, it's made in China instead of Brazil.

It does have a screen in the tube though.

1711916730252.png

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The new FE11669 Endurance filter has an all synthetic material instead of a blend like mine, but, according to the box, it's made in China instead of Brazil.

View attachment 540413

What this says to me is the filter element material is made in China, and assemble into canisters in the US for the spin-on filters.
I'm not sure any glass media filter is made in US anymore. My motorcycle filter is the same thing.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What this says to me is the filter element material is made in China, and assemble into canisters in the US for the spin-on filters.
I'm not sure any glass media filter is made in US anymore. My motorcycle filter is the same thing.
Wix xp was the last ones i believe. The vp racing is made in usa as far as i know so maybe thats the last one. Alot of the element filters are made in south korea i thought to

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Reminds me back in the early '10's when I was looking to dump my oil-pumper half ton Chevy V8 AFM junk. I hadn't heard anything back then about Hemi lifter and cam failures, only the Hemi "tick" and how that was "normal for a Hemi".

HAH!

That said, even if I'd known back then, what was the alternative? Chevy AFM V8 was (still is) junk, Ford Ecoboost engines were failing right and left.

If Hemi had done the lifter roller and cam oiling properly, they would have wiped the floor with Chevy and Ford, regardless of "Hemi" being only good marketing. But no, some goober money-obsessed executive always wrecks the product somehow.

The future is even more bizarre. Ford seems to have straigtened out Ecoboost and sticks with it for half tons. For heavy duty they also came out with 7.3 godzilla V8 (ridiculous seeing as their original big block V8 was 7.5 liters = 460 cid), but had lifter problems. Go figure. Now they've made a mini zilla 6.8 based on the 6.8 I'd be interested in that motor if not for lifter problems. No GDI or MDS, either. Finally! A decent truck motor again.

GM stayed with junk V8 in half tons for some reason. But they made a new heavy duty gas engine that seems ok, the 6.6. No AFM, but they just had to add single injector GDI.

What is wrong with these people?!

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 7.3 lifter problems were supposedly remedied fpr 2023, but there are lifter problems appearing on 2023 and 2024 models. I still have an older Ford pickup, and have been a member on a Ford Truck website for 20 years, so I've been keeping up with this.

There are plenty of deniers, but the evidence points to them still having problems.

Didn't want an EcoBoost or Coyote, no GM truck after driving our low mile shop truck at work. It's very uncomfortable to sit in after an hour.

So here I am in my Pentastar truck, and loving it. The only truck I've been in that is as comfortable is the 1994 2500 Ram I also still have.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The 7.3 lifter problems were supposedly remedied fpr 2023, but there are lifter problems appearing on 2023 and 2024 models. I still have an older Ford pickup, and have been a member on a Ford Truck website for 20 years, so I've been keeping up with this.

There are plenty of deniers, but the evidence points to them still having problems.

Didn't want an EcoBoost or Coyote, no GM truck after driving our low mile shop truck at work. It's very uncomfortable to sit in after an hour.

So here I am in my Pentastar truck, and loving it. The only truck I've been in that is as comfortable is the 1994 2500 Ram I also still have.
12v cummins?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Yeah I agree Ram is by far the most comfortable truck I've ridden in, including all my buddy's.

At least we can be comfy when our powertrains fail.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6

I am with you on the 1500 Pentastar RAM. I needed a truck to travel in. I am 6'3" and 215 pounds. It is extremely comfortable for me to travel long distances in. And, being a truck the Commodore can bring along anything she wants for 3 months in Florida during the winter as well as 3-4 months in Newfoundland during the summer. I ordered my 2017 Laramie as a stock production with two options. LSD and long range fuel tank. On several occasions I have traveled just over 700 miles on a fill up and the truck has plenty of power for what we use it for. I will say though like you and your older truck, my 1988 C-3500 GMC with bench seat is just as comfortable to sit in. It only lacks in the amenities. And of course it has the stiffer ride of a one ton.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does gripe me that the only place I can get the full synthetic Fram is at WallyMart.

From reading and research this morning, there seems to have been a race to the bottom with all oil filters.

I want good flow and good filtration, with flow being high on the list because of the lack of an anti-drain back valve on the Pentastar, leading to dry, rattling starts after sitting.

I always press the throttle to the floor and turn over the engine two different times for appx 5-8 seconds each. I still get rattle doing this, just not as long.

There is a kit by Baxter to supposedly stop this by adding a spin on oil filter, but it's more than I want to spend to put extra weight on the oil leak waiting to happen oil filter housing of the Pentastar.

I think the Pentastar is a great engine, buy why they did the oiling system the way it is doesn't make sense.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah Fram was on a roll in the '10's, then they got taken over yet again by some huge conglomerate holding company demanding nothing but increasing profit, and we all know what that means.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
It does gripe me that the only place I can get the full synthetic Fram is at WallyMart.

From reading and research this morning, there seems to have been a race to the bottom with all oil filters.

I want good flow and good filtration, with flow being high on the list because of the lack of an anti-drain back valve on the Pentastar, leading to dry, rattling starts after sitting.

I always press the throttle to the floor and turn over the engine two different times for appx 5-8 seconds each. I still get rattle doing this, just not as long.

There is a kit by Baxter to supposedly stop this by adding a spin on oil filter, but it's more than I want to spend to put extra weight on the oil leak waiting to happen oil filter housing of the Pentastar.

I think the Pentastar is a great engine, buy why they did the oiling system the way it is doesn't make sense.
Gotta show my ignorance. What is the pedal to the floor and crank with no ignition thing? Is there some way to avoid ignition while cranking the engine thus getting some sort of prime? I guess I might be lucky in that the vast majority of my miles is long distance driving. At 72,000 miles and still under 100 hours idle time I guess that equates to low number of dry start ups. I briefly gave the Baxter set up some thought but decided to keep going as is.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gotta show my ignorance. What is the pedal to the floor and crank with no ignition thing? Is there some way to avoid ignition while cranking the engine thus getting some sort of prime? I guess I might be lucky in that the vast majority of my miles is long distance driving. At 72,000 miles and still under 100 hours idle time I guess that equates to low number of dry start ups. I briefly gave the Baxter set up some thought but decided to keep going as is.
Yes, push pedal all the way to the floor and turn the key, you will see the engine will turn but no ignition. Very few people know about this, in fact it was probably ten years or so before someone brought it up here.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Pedal to the floor is the clear flood mode,i think it kills the injectors so they don't pump more fuel into an already fuel flooded engine.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It actually works. The first time I did it, I held my breath and clenched my teeth, but it does work!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I can't seem to remember to shut down @ high idle to leave oil in the gallies.

I can't even remember to bring the key fob with me out to the truck.
I'm an inch of being 50.... and I love that I can excuse myself from the remembering requirement!

I'm looking forward to the 70+ phase where I just don't give a flying FFFFFFFF anymore, and all them "others" can F the F OFFFFFFFFFFF ;)